WARNING: Jailbreak (technically) voids warranty

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Andy Huang, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ... but I'm sure you already know that. In the odd case if you don't already know it, and are wondering about it, hopefully this thread comes up when you perform a search.

When you purchase an iPod Touch, you should have at least these few things in your box:
    1) iPod Touch (dur, or else you should cry)
    2) Package containing cables and earbuds (else you can't connect to your computer / listen to it)
    and finally 3) a small paper made "box" that contains quick start guide, stickers, cleaning cloth, and most importantly "Important Product Information Guide" (may be localized if you are in a multi-lingual region; IE: "Guide d'informations importantes sur le produit" for the French one in my box)

In the "Important Product Information Guide", you will actually find starting on page 15 (or so, depending on localization language word length; French starts on page 17 for example) your official Warranty terms.

Interesting part is on Page 16 and 17 (for English, again, it can be else where if your localization contains longer or shorter word length) where it outlines "Exclusions and Limitations". Reading it, it states clearly that:
    Meaning, if for whatever reason your jailbroken iPod Touch needs to be replaced within the initial year (or first 90 days via retailer for that matter), Apple (or retailer) can refuse to provide you with a replacement unit and/or service if they found out that it is jailbroken.

However, even with that said...
    For as long as Apple doesn't embed call home applications to report your iPod Touch being jailbroken (at this point, we have no idea whether or not they're doing this; and we probably will never be able to confirm it), and as long as you don't eff up the connector, you can generally "restore" it to its locked state.

So, whether or not you take the risk and jailbreak it... its entirely up for you to decide. Don't do it if you are unease about it but your buddy's harassing you to do so -- for example. Do it only if you are sure that you can benefit from it and are willing to bite the bullet if anything happens...

That is all.
  2. 3CKO

3CKO New Member

ahhh....DURRRR! lol
  3. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

Just make sure you restore it before you send it back!
  4. admkenshin

admkenshin New Member

In many countries (in this case I will explain swedish law, but I'm sure it's similar in the rest of Europe) a manufacturer of home electronics have to provide at minimum 6 months of guarantee against manufacturing faults, regardless of what they write on their warranty card, and regardless of what you do to your iPod, as long as you can prove the error was due to manufacturing fault. In the case of hardware failure, I find it hard to believe that Apple could blame 'illicit' software tinkering.

It might be harder in the US though (you would probably have to go through court, whereas in Sweden the National Consumer Organization would do it for you), but as long as you restore first, how would they know?
  5. bigbirdman

bigbirdman New Member

This is my first post.

And I am utterly disgusted by your thread. In the first place you shouldn't be here. And your surname is Huang ? Must be a Chinese guy say yes guy. You better brush up your skills on sending message across.

Its useless in here.

Hail to the jail breakers. That power of community.

You mean you spend few hundreds dollars just to read that piece of paper saying you shouldn't even open the box which you buy ? LMAO.
  6. fittsida

fittsida New Member

Yeah, shouldnt restoring it do the trick? Granted its functional enough to restore, I guess.
  7. danbolsom

danbolsom New Member

Im Gay!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Hazed

Hazed Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    your post is highly offensive. He was simply warning people which is a nice thing. How is it disgusting. You have clearly misunderstood the op's aim of the thread.
  9. luisiko

luisiko New Member

totally agree ... nothing to worry .. just restore, and give it back

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. bigbirdman

bigbirdman New Member

I agree my post is highly offensive, but its only to him. If the rest of you feel offended by my post, my apologies.

But he is asking for trouble since this forum is dedicated for jailbreaking. All those who has visited this forum has no need for any warning. Theres no need for any whistle-blowers and echoers anymore. Even though intention is good.