WARNING: Do not buy magnetic cases!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MTBPatriot, Feb 4, 2008.

1. MTBPatriot

MTBPatriot New Member

There have been debates back and forth about whether or not magnets will damage or affect your iPod touch, but I am living proof that they CAN negatively affect your iPod.

I recently bought the Griffin Flip-Top Case for my iPod and have been experiencing problems with it ever since.
    It appears to work fine, but after putting the iPod into sleep mode for a while the iPod will become completely unresponsive. The only way to wake it from sleep would be to manually restart it by holding sleep/wake and home.

I know this sounds crazy because the magnets in the case shouldn't be strong enough to affect the iPod, but I've been having this problem every single day my iPod is in the case, and not once without the case. I've restored to 1.1.1 with the same problem. 1.1.2 with the same problem. and 1.1.3 with the same problem. (without jailbreak)

There have also been other reports of this happening (with the iPod showing the EXACT SAME symptoms.

Just a warning to all those considering getting a case with a magnet in it!
  2. sescallier

sescallier New Member

I have a DLO magnetic case for over 3 months and zero issues so far.

I think all of the cases that are causing issues are cheap ebay ones with crap magnets in them.
  3. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    +1 dlo case 0 issues
  4. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Yes, I have a DLO case too, and it works fine. But now that I think about it, my friend has the Griffin Flip-top case and that happens to him. He thought he had to restore it.
  5. hourog

hourog New Member

DLO case since Nov - no problems.
  6. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

same. dlo since nov and no issues. it is on 24/7. probably only the griffin one.
  7. crimsonangel

crimsonangel New Member

That doesn't surprise me. A computer uses really small amounts of electricty and any magnetic field is going to effect it because it is so small. So theres quite a bit of truth to that
  8. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sue Griffin. There you go, then You get a Super Modded touch, from Apple, or just buy their stocks and become a stockholder then make the decisions with them, and make sure you make the iPod better.
  9. DeusMachina

DeusMachina Retired Moderator

DLO Hipcase, 0 Problems. Although I have a theory that magnetic cases can cause stuck pixels.... Either way, no sleep problems here.
  10. seveniron

seveniron New Member

I have a Griffin Flip-top case and have not had any problems at all with it.

Oops. my bad....I actually have a case from Orion Gadgets.