WARNING Apps can make charges to your Credit Card

Discussion in 'iPad' started by feral, Sep 14, 2010.

1. feral

feral New Member

I downloaded the Free App Tap Zoo for my 7 year old grandson at his request for my Ipad. That evening I checked my Itunes account and find a charge of $99.99 for a bunch of coins used in the game. Seems apps can make charges directly to your credit card in Itunes without the need for a password. If you go to the game company site Streetview Labs their support forum is full of complaints of people having as much as $1200 charged to their Itunes account without their knowledge by their children.

This begs the point why Apple would allow any app to charge to Itunes without an password and in particular a game for kids. The good news is it appears that after several emails I have Apple willing to reverse the charges but telling me this is a one time reversal. OK by me as I have deleted my credit card from the store and if I want something I will use a prepurchased card.

Additionally, I have gone into Settings - General - Restrictions and turned off "In-App Purchases" Bet you didn't know that feature is there and is by default turned on. I sure didn't.

Shame on you Apple for allowing that and having it default to on.
  2. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think the default for iTunes is to ask for a password unless you change the default to do one touch purchases.
  3. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    It asks you unless he bought them as early as you got the app or did some sort of purchase.
  4. p1ayrTh3 Ru13

p1ayrTh3 Ru13 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    they have it on for default becuz they expect people to kno where the money for it will come from. also in-app purchases bypass the login process,and ibeer taught me that. just tell him ask you can he buy coins when he plays the game
  5. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    I always remove my credit card from my account immediately after i purchase stuff to prevent accidental charges
  6. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Scary, this is like the mobile data scam in australia. I dont even put my credit card anywhere near it
  7. joshuajag

joshuajag Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Its a 'feature' - iTunes can remember your password for purchases. Perhaps you checked it before without realizing it?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Your grandson probably didn't realize what he was doing and just wanted to get the coins. If you contact iTunes support they might refund your money if you explain what's going on. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1933

Also, It's not "shame on Apple" for enabling a feature, most people with iPhones know what they are doing - they give you the option to turn it off for parental controls, along with buying anything in iTunes or the AppStore, using Safari, YouTube, etc...
  8. shithead

shithead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'm glad you shared your story with us

Please Register or Log in to view images

I recently entered my CreditCard into iTunes to buy some apps.

I'm not planning to buy apps now, so I'm gonna remove my info
    Thx for the warning
  9. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    • Irrelevant/off-topic posts
    Only fukwits ask itunes to remember their credit card details. Only fukwits let their kids gamble online..............itune cards are the way to go. With the best will in the world, there aint no way to stop stupidity.
  10. dbyeayea

dbyeayea New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    As your post clearly demonstrates.