Wanting to get a MBP; some questions

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by mcdavid68, Jul 16, 2009.

1. mcdavid68

mcdavid68 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm planning on getting a macbook pro 13' the size will be a downgrade from my current computer, but i plan on attaching it to my brothers screen for his desktop (he's goin to college and so he doesnt need it).
    i'm pretty sure that will work, all i need to do is just attach a vga cable right?

and if i attach the computer to a display i would prefer to keep the screen of the mac closed and use a external usb mouse and keyboard, if i keep the screen closed for long periods of times can it do any major damage in any way?

Also anyone that has used the 13' can u tell me what u think of the screen size when u use it, and also is the keyboard size an issue, cause from the pics it looks smaller than the others ;P

and any other comments, or a suggestion for a different computer to get, i plan on playing games like sims3, guildwars, cod4, fallout3, and maybe some more to come.. i dont game too often, but i do occasionaly, usualy im just surfing the web, chatting on msn or aim, or goin on facebook or myspace.
    and of course all school work projects, etc.
    and i have about 2000 songs, and about 30 full length movies in avi format.

im planning on getting at least the 320gb hardrive, but i hope to get the 500gb, with 4 gb ram,

so like i said, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. mcdavid68

mcdavid68 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

and if i attach the computer to a display i would prefer to keep the screen of the mac closed and use a external usb mouse and keyboard, if i keep the screen closed for long periods of times can it do any major damage in any way?

i dont think it was that unclear, but thats what i mean ^
  3. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    okay so...
    1. yes thats basically it, if the monitor is DVI (same as VGA, just different type of output) then youll need a DVI adapter/cable
    2.nope
    3. the screen and keyboard and everything is gonna be fine. i have a 10in netbook and i can type really easily. but if your gaming/watching movies i would prefer a bigger screen, but you have a monitor for that, its enough for your msn and web browsing
    and just a suggestion, i dont think youll need the 500gb harddrive unless your installing and putting random crap on your computer.
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If you can live without the games, get a netbook or cheaper laptop and OSx86 it.

If you do get the mackbook. Upgrade the ram yourself, its super easy and will save you some money. Do the same for the HDD. Your going to need an adapter (As said above) for the monitor, unless it has one of those mini ports. The dispay on the macbook pros are not bad at all. You can hook an external and keep the MBP closed, It will automaticly detect the monitor attached and use that.
  5. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm sorry, but if you're planning on using it as a desktop anyway, why not just get an iMac and save yourself the cost of the keyboard and mouse? There's no point to get a Macbook if it's just going to stay closed and attached to a monitor with external everything.
  6. mcdavid68

mcdavid68 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for Posts

1. yeah i knew that already,
    2. k, kool, cause my computer now with the screen down makes the keyboard and mouse pad so hot that i have to open it and wait 5minutes for it to cool or it hurts my hands.
    3. yeah the screen is like 20' i think, and ill attach a keyboard and mouse, (do windows keyboards work for mac? or do i have to buy a mac keyboard)
    3e. i have alot of photos wich right now is about 20gb, i have about 30 movies wich is a bout 30+gb plus alot of tv shows about 20gb, and like 10gb of music. and in addition to that video games. and i plan on having a windows partition for gaming. so thats roughtly 100gb gone right there, and my collection of music, movies, shows, and programs is always growing ;P

i cant live without games

the computer i bought a couple of years ago was meant to be a gaming computer for me, it's an hp, and a total failure every way.
    is upgrading the ram after really cheaper, cause you still have to buy the low end ram from apple, then u have to buy more ram from some other place. same goes for hdd

i dont want to buy a desktop because laptops are the way of the future, and if i want to go somewhere i can bring a laptop with me and if it does gaming, surfing, word proccessing, PHOTOSHOPING, etc. that to me is worth the extra few hundred bucks, desktops have one place they can work, laptops can work anywhere.