Wanted: Minimal unpowered speaker.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by emjoi, Dec 5, 2007.

1. emjoi

emjoi New Member

So I'm finding the Touch great for just carrying around the house, watching TV shows on YouTube. Sit in bed, drop it on the kitchen bench, sit in the lavatory etc. It's really nice that way.

But the trouble is that I have to have it attached to the headphones, which is a nuisance while cooking, and kind of antisocial when other people are about. But at the same time I don't want some docking station because that kills off the idea of carrying the thing around with me.

What I want is a small simple, not unnecessarily very high quality, mono speaker that just plugs into the bottom of the Pod and is loud enough to be heard from a short distance. The thing would get it's power from the iPod so I can walk around with it.

Does such a beast exist? I don't expect the cost on battery would be too terrible... Nintendo DS's do it just fine.
  2. inatightspot

inatightspot New Member

Radio Shack/Circuit city and the like have something called a Pillow speaker, used for listening in bed. It should be loud enough to hear from a few feet away. You need one that's somewhere around 16 to 32 ohms impedance if possible. The only problem is that the mono plug has only a tip and sleeve so I'm not sure if shorting out one of the output channels on the touch will cause any harm. Someone else may know for sure.

Jim
  3. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

im sure that in the next couple of months, a slew of new accesories will be hitting the market, so basically, keep an eye out and let us know wat u find
  4. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia New Member

I bought this one-

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=845

It doesn't need any batteries, and since it uses the dock connector it won't be uncentered like speakers that use the headphone jack.

I bought for the same exact reason as yours, and the volume and sound quality is fine for videos and YouTube. It doesn't get too loud, but if you're holding it or keeping near you, you should be satisfied with the volume I think. I haven't used it enough to know how much it hits the battery.

You can find it other places, but it was cheapest thru Kaidomain. It ships from China I think, so it will take a couple of weeks to reach you.
  5. iAMboognish

iAMboognish New Member

a single earbud with a 1/8" jack sticking out where the wire normally would be would be perfect... And it'd be out of the way when Typing in landscape position.
  6. wallstreetcrash

wallstreetcrash New Member

7. inatightspot

inatightspot New Member

Here's another one:
    http://walmart.ca/wps-portal/storel...pe=1&page=null&departmentId=64&categoryId=355
  8. alanpgh

alanpgh New Member

9. iPlunder

iPlunder New Member

20 bucks is a little steep for that tiny thing. I like the look of the 7 dollar ones more.
  10. alanpgh

alanpgh New Member

Aiptek Speaker

I bought the Aiptek Portable Speaker from Circuit City:
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Sear...k Fidelity Portable Speaker&searchSection=All

It has a few good features:
    First, it has very good sound quality for a speaker of it's size.
    Second, you can run it battery powered or direct from the iPod Touch. In direct mode it is not as loud, but the batteries will not be drained. Might be good for listening to voices/podcasts without draining the battery. Then, you can use the battery for music and entertainment.

Definitely worth $18.95 that I paid!

Alan