Want to use 3G without data...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RoYaLx, Jun 22, 2009.

1. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Here is the story:
    I was given a 3G iPhone because my friend bought a 3G on Friday. Currently I use my 2G with the EDGE service turned off via SBSettings. I tried to do the same with my 3G, got it 'shut off', but still got the message from AT&T pictured below. Is there any way to not pay for the data like there is for the 2G? I have no need for it.

My 2G still has 2.2.1 and my 3G has 3.0. Both are jailbroken in case that would make a difference.

Attached Files:

2. Rich5150

Rich5150 Banned

wait im confused are you trying to use the 3G without a data plan?
    or are you trying to switch from your 2G to your 3G if thats the case wouldnt you just have to switch your sim card out of your 2G into your 3G
  3. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    I want to switch my SIM from my 2G to my 3G. I have the EDGE (internet) service disabled inside SBSettings on my 2G and 3G. At the moment, I pay nothing for the data because it is unused and can't be detected. Why pay for it if I don't use it?

My question is that I think AT&T can detect that I am using a 3G without any data plan even though the EDGE/internet is disabled within SBSettings on the 3G also. I am asking if there is a way to circumvent the check, I don't need the data and don't want to pay for it if I won't use it.
  4. tornbacchus

tornbacchus New Member

call ATT and they will put a block on all 3G data on iphone, i had that on my iphone when i didnt have 3G on iphone for a few weeks. im on rogers in canada, but im sure they will turn off 3G on your bill, unless u wanna pay 15 cents / kilobyte
  5. Rich5150

Rich5150 Banned

oh ok ummm you know i have no idea that is a good question Ill search around cause im kinda curious myself if i find anything ill let you know
  6. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    I have been inside the store, and they said I would have to pay for the data, regardless if I use it or not.

But if I call them, I could have all data blocked? I don't just want it blocked I don't want to be charged for it, since it is a data phone and "requires the data plan" (even though it really doesn't, AT&T just wants more $$$ from me

Please Register or Log in to view images

).
  7. tornbacchus

tornbacchus New Member

well i had my iphone since christmas with 500MB on it. i cancelled the data last month for an internet stick. they told me they are putting a block on my phone number so that i wont accidently use data since im not on a plan.

if i were to use data, it would be around 5 - 15 cents / kilobyte, so they gave me an example. for May i used 40 MB of data. not on a plan that would cost me around 400$ !?!

i dont know about ATT but im sure they can. rogers did it for me in canada and i even cancelled my plan, you didnt even buy one to begin with.

and if your wondering, i got 3G back on phone now (6GB) and its mostly for internet teathering.