Wanna learn to make apps, should i learn flash and port games, or learn C

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by scottgoodz, Dec 5, 2007.

?

Which path should I take to learn app development? (see below)

1. Option 1

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. Option 2

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Go die, if you don't know now you shouldn't even try. (this way you don't all have to type it out!)

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. scottgoodz

scottgoodz New Member

Wanna learn to make apps, should i learn flash and port games, or learn C++

I want to learn to make apps. I have no experience in scripts or coding. I would like to be making simple games ASAP. How long would this take? However, I am very patient, a fast typer, fast learner, and great at memorization.

Should I (don't flame, I know i dont know what I'm talking about)-

Option 1

1.Learn Java/Actionscript
    2.Make the game in Flash
    3.Port or compile or whatever to ipod format

Option 2

1. Learn OpenGL ED (please explain what this is.)
    2. Learn C++
    3. Make the game directly for ipod touch

I would like to be making simple games ASAP.

How long would each take?
    Which would be more useful in the end?
    Where would you start (links)?

any other info would be great.
  2. scottgoodz

scottgoodz New Member

I want to learn to make apps. I have no experience in scripts or coding. I would like to be making simple games ASAP. How long would this take? However, I am very patient, a fast typer, fast learner, and great at memorization.

Should I (don't flame, I know i dont know what I'm talking about)-

Option 1

1.Learn Java/Actionscript
    2.Make the game in Flash
    3.Port or compile or whatever to ipod format

Option 2

1. Learn OpenGL ED (please explain what this is.)
    2. Learn C++
    3. Make the game directly for ipod touch

I would like to be making simple games ASAP.

How long would each take?
    Which would be more useful in the end?
    Where would you start (links)?

any other info would be great.
  3. Bruinsfan452

Bruinsfan452 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm glad you started this thread I am kinda of in the same position as u I didn't know which one i should learn so I just started learning some of the basics of c++ the other day
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The best route would be to learn Objective-C and forget wasting time learning syntax and procedures you will never use. If you want, you could learn C, then apply that to Objective-C, as Obj-C is just a superset of C.

For what it's worth, I come from a mostly C++ background, so Objective-C was very alien to me. But after about a week or so of looking at different apps' source code, it became clear enough to really start messing around. I still have a lot to learn, though. At this point, I have released one app (available on the iPodTouchFans Installer Source). Although I havethree others in queue. My main app causes the iPod to freeze up upon launch! Ouch.

It's a learning curve, but there are several plateaus you will reach along the way, and they all feel good.

Good luck,
    Skylar
  5. Shredd3r

Shredd3r New Member

I would love to learn C++, but i have no idea where to start.
  6. Applefan69

Applefan69 New Member

search google for tutorials. Www.W3schools.com is an amazing website. Mostly everything i know is fron either that website (or friends)
  7. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i don't think you have to know c++, what you have to know is objective c, that should be all you need to make apps, and maybe some java or somethin'

Cheers,
    Ben.
  8. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Yes, Objective C is what folks use right now, in the absence of an official SDK. (And even with an official SDK you'll be going by Apple's rules, which may or may not be a good thing.)

First things first:

1. Learn C within Objective C. C++ is a superset of C so if you want to learn that later, you'll have a good grasp of C already, so you can just learn the advanced topics on inheritance, polymorphism, and other such material C++ brings.

2. OpenGL ED is a 3D Graphics API for embedded processors, such as those on PDAs and, of course, the Touch. The Touch does not have a 3D graphics processor though, so the API would only be useful for software 3D rendering, which can be slow.

3. If you have no coding experience whatsoever then I wouldn't expect to be making complete games for at least 6 months to a year, depending on the amount of time you can devote to the topic and your ability to get your head into the logical, technical, and often hair-pullingly frustrating world of programming and debugging.
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Please don't post two threads for the same thing.
  10. morgz

morgz New Member

I'm about a quarter of the way through 'Programming in Objective-C' by Stephen Kochan.

Its very good! learning some right bollocks about bitwise operations att he moment and I'm not usre how relevent all this math,hex,octal numbering stuf is... but its a nice book to learn from.

Also check out www.cocoacast.com for a decent podcast