iOS 4.0 Wallpapers on Unjailbroken 2G iOS4?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by frag, Jul 13, 2010.

1. frag

frag New Member

On an iPod Touch 2g, if you poke around in the wallpapers menu in iOS4, you can see this for a split second:

Please Register or Log in to view images

It looks like Apple left the wallpaper/lock screen buttons intact. I wonder if it's possible to set a background on an unjailbroken device.
  2. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Nope.
    Unfortunately, these "device capabilities" are stored in a SpringBoard plist, which means it's part of the system and it's inaccessible without a jailbreak.
    Even if you manage to press the button, SpringBoard (the lock screen/home screen system application) will refuse to display the wallpaper.
  3. frag

frag New Member

It's really cheeky of Apple to leave the buttons in like that. Too bad it doesn't work.
  4. lauNchD

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah, it really does suck.
    Actually, the iPod touch 2G would be able to display wallpapers without making everything slow (as Steve Jobs claims). It's not as fast as the 3GS, but its 100Mhz advantage over the iPhone 3G would definitely make it fast enough...
  5. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Wow, good find! It took me forever to get a screenshot of it coming up, but I have the same thing on my 2g.

Well I tried it for a while, and it really did make it slower. I think it's more slowed by the extensive shadowing that Apple decided to put behind all the icons and text than by the wallpaper itself.
  6. lauNchD

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Probably you're right; I was probably just biased because all 2Gs I got to play with seemed so much faster than my 1G

In all seriousness, shadows aren't a technological innovation. Apple could greatly improve performance by simply precompositing and caching the icons + shadow. But they don't want to. Let's just make it an exclusive third-generation feature

7. frag

frag New Member

I used to use Bosspaper on jailbroken 3.1.3 2G and it seemed faster than vanilla iOS4. Very good sales tactic on Steve Jobs's part, though.

Looks like I'll just have to jailbreak again. >_<
  8. MarioKartMaster

MarioKartMaster New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    These buttons are actually carried over from the iPad (since the iPad had homescreen wallpapers as well). Apple must have taken code from the 3.2 firmware, and forgot to remove those buttons.
  9. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It makes sense considering the buttons don't seem to fit on the screen here