Wallpaper not working after 1.1.4JB to 2.1 regular????

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by redgtxdi, Sep 21, 2008.

1. redgtxdi

redgtxdi New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So, I decided to go ahead and leave 1.1.4JB behind and try out 2.1

Well, all's well. Even all my settings were remembered. But I noticed that my customize wallpaper is still on the slide screen and there is nothing but black on regular springboard.

No matter what I do, the old customize wallpaper stays and springboard stays black.

Anybody else have this??

Do I need to do a full restore first???
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

SpringBoard stays black as it was NEVER skinned by Customize - Customize used SummerBoard, which doesn't exist on 2.0. Use WinterBoard to skin both the SpringBoard as well as the Lock Background, and set the LockBackground back to 777 permissions, or chown it to Mobile as it probably is currently owned by root, which prevents the iPod from changing the LockBackground.png file - if the file's owned by someone else and it doesn't have write permissions for anyone who isn't the owner, then the iPod can't change it.

Also, you may want to read the forums a bit before posting, since this sort of question has been asked often.
  3. redgtxdi

redgtxdi New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the other info, but searches for "wallpaper" in 2.1 turned up nothing.
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Just search for Firmware 2.0 and wallpaper or SummerBoard. There were many, many posts about how they no longer worked, because Customize used SummerBoard or Freeboard to do the skinning. However, Saurik (the guy who helped with FreeBoard) created WinterBoard, which was the SummerBoard replacement.

And that's the thing - it replaces the wallpaper, the icons, the Other artwork, and so forth. Like SummerBoard and Customize all in one program.
  5. redgtxdi

redgtxdi New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Reading up on Winterboard right now. (still trying to figure out new jb, just hate relearning all that stuff).

Winterboard looks really cool.

I have a generational gap between the time I got 1.1.4jb working just the way I liked it and now 2.1. (skipped 1.1.5 and 2.0 entirely)

In case anyone searches here again, to fix my problem in the OP, I just "restored" and things are fine now. Of course, it requires resetting wifi, mail, etc.