Wallpaper.aap is personal information safe?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Maahr, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Maahr

Maahr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hi

I have been trying this new app but i am worried that if it is so easy (not for me

Please Register or Log in to view images

) to make a application that take a copy of my wallpaper, is it also that easy to look in people's e-mail ect. on the Touch and get that kind of information too??

Maahr

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. the_end

the_end New Member

if you ask me this app is not exactly sharing your wallpaper... i think it just connects to some website and loads random wallpapers...

but maybe we could use a small firwall showing what, when and where an app connects to the internet.
  3. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Yes. That is why you don't install sources from untrusted sources. 1000+ App sources are all well and good, until you get that one app that pulls up ~/Library/Keybaord/dynamic-text.dat.

I know what you're thinking, what does the autocorrect file have to do with anything? Well, the short answer is that all of your passwords are stored in that file in plain text. Armed with that, all someone would have to do is pull your Safari history up and presto--instant access to your bank account, or anything else you may access on your iPod. It's actually VERY easy.

The moral of the story: NEVER download from sources you personally don't trust.
  4. buffonitaly

buffonitaly New Member

Dang

That is one security flaw that apple left open. I would have at least put MD5 encryption at the least in that file. But how many people look at their bank account on an ipod. The only thing that I would look at that requires a password is email and forums where you need an account. I'm sure apple will fix this in their next update.
  5. Weo

Weo New Member

actually it was pretty safe until "someone" had to go and hack the ipod so i could put tons of entertaining apps on my iPot
  6. buffonitaly

buffonitaly New Member

But apple knows that a lot of people jailbreak their ipods so they will probably issue an update being the security freaks they are. As apple said the iphone is the most advanced phone ever and it will be a target for attacking and the ipod touch will probably be the same.