Wall charger problem - blinking battery symbol

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HappyLife, Jan 17, 2009.

1. HappyLife

HappyLife New Member

I purchased an original apple USB wall charger 5V, 1A. When I connect to the Touch, I get a blinking battery symbol alterning between a wall plug symbol a charging symbol. Very fast blinking: maybe 2-3 times a second. Sometimes the blinking stops, and I get a steady charging symbol, sometimes it restarts to blink. I use cable that came with the Touch. The wall charger looks exactly the same than the one with TV Cable Sets (composite and components). The charger looks bad, but I am very interrested to know about your experience with wall charger...

Any idea?
  2. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    maybe your wall charger is loose?
    or maybe your usb cable is loose?
    double check

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. HappyLife

HappyLife New Member

I might have an explanation.

It's not the cable. I do not touch the cable at all and I get blinking charging status, and I have 3 iPod Touch cables they all do the same problem.

I've put the 5V DC charger on a 8 Ohms/20 Watts resistor (I needed to destroy a USB cable), wich should give a current of .625 Amp approx, and voltage should remain around 5Volts since the charger is rated 5V/1A. But the voltage drops to 3V and current accordingly to around 0.3 Amp. Probably 3V is around the treshold value where Touch stops charging.

The eBay store is "pedegg" (what a strange name!). I wanted to make a long story short, but I actualy purchased 3 usb chargers and 2 dock with cables from this eBay store. All 3 chargers cannot handle 5V/1A as required by the Touch. I lost $20 US on these 3 chargers.

I would be very interrested to know of others have the same problem.
  4. yotto

yotto New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello.
    I have the same problem. The battery icon of my ipod touch 2g is alternating betwen the wall plug symbol and charging symbol. Did u manage to fix this problem?.
  5. Kichoufumetsu

Kichoufumetsu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    we just noticed it on ours too. i thought i was hallucinating at first. but that wasn't happening earlier today. it just started out of nowhere. then again, my apartment has OLD aluminum wiring that is known to reduce the current power every once in a while. it fried my last big screen. take charger and ipod to someone elses house that is YOUNGER than your house. (the house, not the friend)
  6. frozenkimchi

frozenkimchi Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have that all the time, I just ignore it
  7. b0xer23

b0xer23 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have the same problem, but only on my self made ipod wall charger, not on computer, and i think when it blinks it doesn't charges. Does yours charges?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I have just figured it out!!!! It blinks when the charger has electricity under 500mAh. It charges to some amount of percents, and then start to blink and stop charging.