iPhone 3GS wait for 4g, buy 3gs now? want to jailbreak, unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by huge, May 6, 2010.

1. huge

huge New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    After 2 years with a Windows Mobile phone (HTC Tilt), someone gave me an iPod Touch a month ago and I've had so much fun jailbreaking and playing with it that I'm convinced to switch to an iPhone. My 2-year upgrade with AT&T is due, so I can get an iPhone at the contract price.

I was gung-ho to just go out and get one right away (two actually, for me and Mrs Huge), but then started reading about 4G coming out in June, so now I'm on the fence.

I want to jailbreak the phone, and potentially unlock it, though it wouldn't kill me to wait a while for a jailbreak/unlock process to come out after the release of 4G.

I need the phone to have tethering capability, as a backup internet service for when my cable goes down. This is why I didn't get an iPhone two years ago, but my understanding is that it's possible to tether now as long as you don't abuse the privilege, even if AT&T/Apple doesn't officially support it.

Is it pretty clear that 4G will be released in June? I hear that stated all over, but I haven't seen an official statement from Apple.

When 4G is released, prices on 3GS phones will likely drop, right? Any guess as to how much?

Any recent news about what AT&T will do about tethering in the USA and when they might do it? Is there any reason to be scared that the current "we don't care if you don't use a ton of bandwidth" policy will change?

I know there are other threads out there talking about this, but I think I have a particular set of concerns.

Thanks for any advice, speculation, rumors or wisdom you can provide...

-huge
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Wait for the 4gen.

If you ever need tethering you can get Mywi or Pdanet from Cydia and they support usb tethering.
  3. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

Definitely wait for the 4th gen iPhone. It will be worth it.
  4. huge

huge New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    but does that mean I can't tether unless my phone is jailbroken? I'm worried that the 4G will come out but that there will be a big delay before the jailbreak is released. (I'm a professional poker player, and I need tethering in case my cable internet connection goes down in the middle of an online poker tournament)

Or is there another tethering method that does not require jailbreak?
  5. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    I would wait for the 4th generation. IT is so close to June that the wait would be well worth it.
  6. stanleybridgeboy

stanleybridgeboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Wait for the 4th Generation, you'll regret making any other decision.

As for tethering, yeah you'll be able to I'm 99.9% sure!
  7. ssleepyz

ssleepyz New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I would have waited for 4th Generation iPhone, but then I remembered something about it being Microsim? I dunno what carrier is going to be supporting that, so I just bought the 3GS 32GB sealed for 5 bills... Gonna wait for 4.0 to come out (June 7th I hope) and wait for Dev to unlock (I hope) and use it then!

Doesn't 4th Gen come out next year?
  8. thedj

thedj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    4th gen uses micro sim so theres no point, you wont be able to unlock and use your own sim, so I would recommend going for the 3GS
  9. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

...unless you're willing to trim your SIM card to be microsim sized.
  10. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Where did you read that? And as above, your can just trim it too size.