VPN Setup Guide for the iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by emed795, Nov 18, 2007.

1. emed795

emed795 New Member

For those interested in using the VPN feature of their iPod Touch that came with the 1.1.2 firmware I wrote a pretty comprehensive guide on how to set it all up along with pictures that follow along the proccess. For those who don't know what a VPN is it stands for Virtual Private Network and it ensures that traffic remains secure while going over an insecure medium like the Internet or a public Wi-Fi connection. It can be used to ensure privacy when checking e-mail or surfing the web. It dose this by establishing an encrypted tunnel from the iPod Touch to a computer on your local network which then forwards the request out to the Internet from your own home network.

The guide is pretty dense at 16 pages but most of it is just pictures of various points in the process; the only real reading is in the beginning where I give some background on VPNs and the kinds of things you will need to consider when setting a VPN up. To make use of this guide you will need any version of Windows Vista (or XP Pro but I mainly focus on Vista) and a router that allows VPN Pass-through (most do) it dose not need to have VPN endpoint capabilities. You will also need to be fairly competent in home networking as setting up a VPN is not as easy as doing an automated jailbreak. Because of its length I decided to make to make the guide available in both an XPS and PDF version both versions are included in the ZIP but I would recommend using the XPS version if you can (just open in IE 7) since the pictures in that version don't flash when you scroll the document rapidly unlike the PDF version. Feel free to tell me if there's anything that needs changing or could be improved.

Attached Files:

2. amull87

amull87 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i was wondering if you could help me. I'm trying to connect to my college's network, i have the VPN set up and i can connect to the network but i just can't get safari, mail, etc to load. It's probably something the college has set-up but i thought you might know something i could do?!!
  3. emed795

emed795 New Member

Let me see if I understand, can you clarify if your trying to connect to your college's VPN with your Touch or through the colleges network to your own VPN server. It success fully connects and establishes the VPN tunnel but no traffic can pass through.

Can you report the following information.

What is the specific type of VPN setup were talking about. Are you using L2TP/IPSec or PPTP? What is the kind of authentication method used by the VPN server your trying to connect to MS-CHAP v2 and pre-shared secrets? On the VPN status menu on the iPod Touch are you getting assigned a local IP address from the network. Also, are you able to establish a VPN connection using a regular notebook? If so, what is the VPN configuration the notebook using to connect? Can you browse the web over VPN using that notebook?
  4. mattrix

mattrix New Member

öhm where can i activate the VPN on ipod touch? I Have the 1.1.2 but there is no VPN
  5. emed795

emed795 New Member

Did you check Settings > General > Network > VPN? If so, do you have the iPhone applications installed? In 1.1.1 the VPN options showed up in 1.1.1 due to a side effect of having the iPhone applications. In 1.1.2 I assumed that the setting was enabled nativly, so I could have been wrong.
  6. shapys

shapys Guest

how do i know which vpn i need to add out of these 3 L2TP/IPSec or PPTP? for the ipod touch?