Volume Problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pdmike, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pdmike

pdmike New Member

I just purchased a third generation ipod touch. There is something wrong with the volume.

When the marker on the volume bar running across the bottom of the screen is all the way to the left, you cannot hear anything (of course). When it is in the middle position, you can hear the song very faintly. When it is all the way to the left, you hear the song at a level of what I would call slightly above normal - but not really all that loud.

That can't be right. I have heard stories about ruptured eardrums when you crank an ipod all the way to the right. With the volume bar marker in the middle position, you should be able to hear the song at a normal, comfortable level, not "just barely."

I took it back to Best Buy. The salesgal gave it a listen and said it's defective - I should exchange it. I didn't have the receipt with me, but will be taking care of this tomorrow.

I am worried that ALL of the 3rd gen ipod touches have this problem. I sure hope not - I didn't pay four hundred Big Ones for twenty per cent sound. I could have gotten a standard ipod for less than a hundred that would blow your eardrums out if you let it.

What's up with all of this? Anyone else experience anything like this?
  2. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Mine gets pretty loud.
  3. Shukketsu.Azuguad

Shukketsu.Azuguad Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Mine hasn't done that. Mine has been working perfectly since day one.
  4. dAdE0H0

dAdE0H0 New Member

Did you check the volume limit control in settings/music/volume limit?

maybe it's turned on?
  5. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I always have my iPod loud that people even say how can I stand it...what's wrong with having a loud iPod...that's a good thing (well IMO)

EDIT
    didn't read the thread as well as I should have...do what dAdE0H0 said =P
  6. ipodnanoinian

ipodnanoinian Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My 8 gig 3g works fine. Check your volume limit
  7. pdmike

pdmike New Member

Thanks, guys. That was precisely what I wanted to hear.

I have checked the volume settings and they are all OK, i.e., they are set for max volume.

What I was worried about was that the type of volume problem I am having is generic to all Ipod Touch units and I will just have to live with it. Your responses tell me that is not the case. Good! Now, I will go to Best Buy this afternoon, exchange the sucker, and get on with my life.
  8. erral

erral New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i have an ipt3 8gb, mine gets pretty loud too, people around me can hear the music that i'm listening to quite clearly.
  9. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    thats a good thing =P
  10. pdmike

pdmike New Member

I know you all have been dying to find out what happend at Best Buy yesterday.

I went in and compared my ipod to one they had on display. I used the same headset I had been using for my ipod - a very old, Sony headset (I think I got it originally with my Walkman. Walkman? That should tell you how old it is.)

The display ipod touch sounded exactly the same as mine. So I figured, either I had a headset problem or all ipod touch units have the same volume problem. Want to guess which it was? You guessed it. I got some new earplug headphones and the volume problem went away. It still isn't as loud as I would like it to be, but it is significantly better than it was with the old headset.

You want loud? So I stepped over to the docking counter and purused a number of docking speaker units. I walked out with one - made by this company called Bose, ever hear of it? Took that sucker home, unpacked it, set it up, stuck my ipod in there and . . . . well . . . let's just say that I have yet to crank the volume all the way up as I don't want to break the windows in my house.

I can't BELIEVE how great the sound is that comes out of this unit! I am a happy camper. Glad I didn't have to turn my ipod touch in, as I like it an awful lot. Now, I have the best of all possible worlds. For general listening, the volume level of the ipod with earplug headphones is fine. When I REALLY want loud, all I have to do is step over to the Bose.