volume button locks the ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shnethog, Aug 17, 2009.

1. shnethog

shnethog New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So i just upgraded to 3.0 from 2.2.1, and i jailbroke it. I started having this problem where on the side volume buttons, the down button works like it's supposed to, but the up button both turns up the volume... AND LOCKS MY IPOD. i tried turning it off and back on to no avail. i tried installing SBsetting volume MC, to see it that would cure the problem, it didnt, so i uninstalled it and it was still messed up. i tried a hard reset. didn't work. i was getting fed up, so i tried restoring it. up button was still locking my ipod. I can't even put it into DFU mode anymore for some reason. I've been living on google and iptf for the past 2 days looking for a solution or similar situations, and have found nothing.

the only thing i haven't tried is downgrading to 2.2.1 again, so i'm going to try that when i'm done posting this thread, but i don't have high hopes or anything.

Im betting this has something to do with hardware, but could this have somehting to do with 3.0? And if it is something to do with the hardware, will it be covered by the warranty? (ive had the ipod since november, so i know its still under the 1-year warranty, and i restored it, so there's no trace of me having jailbroken it.)

Any thoughts? Any similar cases? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That usually happens when your iPod gets wet.. has it?

If not, put it in DFU Mode, you say the top button still locks your iPod, so I dont see why it "wont" go into DFU Mode. You can always go into DFU Mode.

If you cant get it into DFU Mode, regular restore to official firmware, see if the problem still persists, and take it to an Apple Store to get a replacement.

Good Luck,
    iAppleCentral®
  3. shnethog

shnethog New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey thanks for the speedy reply...

it has not been wet. i don't understand why it is doing this.

I know what you're saying. It should, in theory, be able to enter dfu mode, but it won't. i've successfully gone into dfu mode many times before, and now i can't. i haven't changed how i do it or anything.

I'm probably going to end up getting a replacement...

thanks for your help though

------------------double post merged------------------
    oh wait i just found out that my lock button also raises the volume... so they both have the same function for some reason. they both raise the volume and lock the ipod.
    ???
  4. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It seems to be hardware related, have you tried using the volume controls to go into DFU mode? Since you say that lock button can do volume, I do see why you wouldnt be able to use the volume buttons to go into DFU.
  5. shnethog

shnethog New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    xitz: ive tried that, believe me. i can't even turn on the ipod with hooking it up to a computer, and the computer is what turns it on, not me pressing the buttons.
  6. snowlover

snowlover New Member

My volume up put mine to sleep and my sleep button wouldn't work. Got a new one under Apple warranty.

Obviously not jail Broken!

7. shnethog

shnethog New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thanks, i think that's what i'm gonna end up doing.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Well I went to the apple store and switched it for a new one. Glad it was still under warranty

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

crap

i have same issue, but i ought mine from my neighbor a year ago, now the volume up and lock button do the same thing, and it only turns on in computer. im screwed