iOS 3.1 Volume button and lock button having the same function

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by duval67, Jan 3, 2010.

1. duval67

duval67 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    When I had my iPod Touch jailbroken before, my lock button and up volume button began doing the same thing. When I locked it, I would also increase the volume, and when I increased the volume, I would also lock it.

I decided I would try restoring the original firmware to remedy the problem, but found that I was unable to do this. It would just not work. I'm not sure why this was. I gave up, and several months later, tried restoring the firmware again. It worked perfectly, and I have not had any problems since.

Now, I am considering jailbreaking it again...but I'm leery because of what happened. Would the volume button/lock button confusion of had anything to do with jailbreaking? Was the trouble with restoring due to the lock button/volume button issue?

I just don't want to have to worry. If something goes wrong, I want to be able to restore without trouble.
    Any insight into this would be great guys.

Thanks a lot.
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That's weird. Must have been a bug. I've never heard of that happening to anybody before. It's perfectly safe to jailbreak, and if you need to restore, just put your iPod into DFU Mode and restore.
  3. duval67

duval67 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I tried to, but that was the problem. I couldn't enter DFU mode. Because of the problem, when trying to enter DFU mode I'd actually be holding lock, home, and up volume, so it wouldn't allow me to go into DFU...
  4. AllenH

AllenH Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is very interesting... with 3.1.2 I had nothing but problems- crashing all the time. I don't know if it's the jailbreak, because I've been crashing in springboard without jailbreak at all. Random crashes. [thanks for the update Apple!] It's a "hang" where nothing works, and then the device reboots. Fun.

But- and here's where things are interesting- One of the frequent crashes I had while running blackra1n/JB/3.1.2 was a power-button (to sleep) and also a volume up problem. Frequently when pressing either of these, I'd crash.

I wonder if perhaps the wires are crossed somehow in 3.1.2 in some way, and this is at the heart of the crash. [I wonder where that data is... is it a simple keyboard.plist file?]

Anyway- sorry to hear about your trouble! I'm currently un-jailbroken (disregard the left hand side of this post), running a very buggy 3.1.2. I will be down-grading soon, as soon as I can spare the time. A useless ipod is no fun...
    -Allen
  5. michaelna

michaelna New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  6. xFKSxSquirrel

xFKSxSquirrel Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you will be fine if you jailbreak. it was probably just a bug.
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Mine did the same thing and I've never jailbroken mine.Lucky it was still under warrenty so Igot it replaced
  8. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Did u have activator installed?
  9. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Probably some sort of blackra1n glitch that happened on other ppl too. You might have not used it. Dunno...

Jailbreaking is fine...Its done nothing to me. Just don't install RMF....
  10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Mine does the same thing, but...

I have that same problem, but it started happening after my iPod got thrown around in a crash