VoipStunt, or Skype? (also mini review for phillips iphone mic)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mapleleafmenace, Nov 26, 2008.

1. mapleleafmenace

mapleleafmenace New Member

Ok, first thing's first - the mic.

It works okay. That's about it. It's a little static-y when I plug it in - like if the plug moves in the ipod jack at all I hear some crackling. The quality isn't so bad - you can definitely tell it's a handsfree mic, but what do you expect for 10 bucks?

Conclusion: Worth it as maybe a backup mic or a stopgap measure if a handsfree is needed right away. Me, I'm going to use it until I can get a Griffin Smart Talk.

Now for the question:

So far VoipStunt sucks pretty bad. I've managed, out of ten calls, to leave myself one phone message which allowed me to test the mic. For some reason it works to my phone but not to my girlfriend's or my mother's, and we're all on the same cell plan.

I can only imagine Skype is better since it's a paid service, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has used both.
  2. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

try Fring. the best ever! ftw.

but skype is good though.
  3. mapleleafmenace

This is through Fring. Unless Fring itself has some kind of internet phone client? I thought one had to go through the add-ons like SIP and Skype to place a call?
  4. nestoloco

nestoloco New Member

you CAN use fring for many different types of calls:
    1- skypeout, skype user to skype user
    2- skypeout, skype user to phone (you get one 1 min call, after that you have to subscribe 30 dollars for the year)
    3-skypein, you also receive calls. I actually haven't tried this yet.
    4- SIP, you can use voipstunt to make calls to a regular phone, but you only get one mintue as well, then you have to subscribe.
    5- windows live messenger you can chat
    6- google talk

That's it as far as I'm aware... I think that's pretty awesome that you have the ability to dothat on the Touch 2g. It's almost like you have an IPhone and you don't have to pay the ridiculous $80bill per month.

I actually had bought the Philips mic, but I returned because it sucked so bad. I got the ITune Bud for $20 at amazon. Much better deal, higher quality plus you can control your music with a button on the wire. Pretty awesome.
  5. mapleleafmenace

I've had awful luck with VoipStunt so far. It didn't connect at all, and the one time I did manage to get a call through to a phone other than mine (still not sure why that was the only one that worked), the person heard "oi" and that's about it before it disconnected us. And I didn't even say "oi".

I guess an unspoken part of my question is, does VoipStunt actually work well fo anyone? Or was my all-bars wifi just glitchy?

Thanks for the rec on the Bud, nesto. I hadn't seen that one. I wonder if Target carries it, cuz I've got a gift card that's begging to be spent

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I got Skype out for $10 per Radio Shack prepaid credit card.

I authorized Skype to take $10 if it gets less than $10 at Skype.

I mention this as an alternate method. I refuse to use Pay Pal: I will not reply to unsolicited emails from Pay Pal requiring my password. I just had signed up and I got hit over 8 times by Pay Pal imitators. I know, because I kept the emails. I gave the emails to Pay Pal and I received a "Thank you". Nevertheless, how can I know? I tried to "login" to pay the unlimited rate and Pay Pal demanded my banking information. No thanks!

I have an prepaid "credit card" specifically for online purchases.

The other SIP vendors wanted me to pay for special credits, at $5 service fee. It looked like I didn't want to go there.

Skype is free, if you are calling a computer that has Skype. I do wonder, if you have Skype fring and I have Skype fring, is it free?

BY the way, Griffin Smart Talk has a switch to operate the music like the Apple buds.
  7. nestoloco

nestoloco New Member

Yes it is.
    You only get one minute or 3 calls free try. So if you hung up, then that's probably why. I can't make calls with Voip stunt anymore because i already used my share with the logon I had.
  8. Germany

Germany Banned

So if you have Skype on your computer, it allows you too dial 1-800s and stuff for free without Skype out. Is it the same on the Touch? If so, I will probably get a mic because I call Goog411 to call businesses a lot.
  9. touchmymonkey

touchmymonkey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Thanks for the post about skypein on fring. I didn't realize I could receive calls on the touch!
    Wish you didn't have to keep the app open to do it.
  10. Germany

Germany Banned

Okay, just downloaded Fring, registered, logged on Skype with my account. I have no credit for anything, and on the computer it allows you to call 1800 numbers for free. When I dial the 1800 number I want, it hangs up at 0 seconds. Why?