VOIP works on gen 2 without jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ipod_noobie, Dec 17, 2008.

1. ipod_noobie

ipod_noobie New Member

I might be boring someone with these news but I just finally got to test successfully a VOIP call from a brand new Ipod Touch 2nd gen out of the box using fring and Voipstunt.

I used the iphone headset (29 bucks) that I blindly purchased just to try this out. The other party heard me in very good quality but unfortunately on my end the volume on the earphones was very, very, very low

Please Register or Log in to view images

- otherwise the quality was good.

However it worked without modding, soldering, jailbreaking or anything of that kind. I just need to figure out how to increase the volume for the earpieces.

Maybe someone has a solution ready???
  2. spark190

spark190 New Member

can i use iphone headset (with remote and mic, the ones that come with the iphone) on my ipod touch 2g to talk via fring?? (wifi call). Thanks for your time!!
  3. ipod_noobie

ipod_noobie New Member

This is the headet I used: iPhone Stereo Headset MA814LL/A

I assume those are the ones that come with the iPhone. I'm not sure though.

It would be very useful to hear form other people who use Fring and other VOIP services how the call quality is especially the earpiece volume. Voipstunt seems to have major issues these days regarding getting calls connected and once connected one party can't hear you at all.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. byrdboy

byrdboy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    so it can work with any headphone + mic set not just the apple one?
  5. merlion2001

merlion2001 New Member

For me, I got the Philips iPhone Microphone adapter ($10) which comes with a mic from Target.

And then I had my old Sony MDR-E71 earphone which I can connect to the adapter. It works pretty good and I was able to talk to my brother in Singapore from US.

It works out great for me since the earphone has a short cable. (thus avoiding a clumsy setup)
  6. JAD

JAD New Member

The new Apple in ear headphones with Mic work really well with voip.
  7. Germany

Germany Banned

Yes, I use fring with SIP as well. I alternate between VoipStunt and VoipBuster to get the maximum amount of calls. I might get a cheap Philips iPhone Microphone Converter to use soon. It isn't going to be the best quality, but it's worth it.
  8. Chris H

Chris H New Member

Headsets?

does anyone know if a blackberry headset with an RCA adapter would work.
  9. ipod_noobie

ipod_noobie New Member

I really would like to hear more about how the Philips iPhone Microphone Adapter is supposed to work...

You just plug any headphones in there since the mic is already included in the plug of the Philips iPhone Microphone Adapter? It sound like an awful lot of cables to work with when you use a regular headset that hase a 2 or 3 feet long cord...

As much as I understand you need either an adapter or headset with 4 contacts to get the whole thing to work.

I wonder if this adapter Product ID #9039499 at Bestbuy will actually work since it has only 3 contacts.

Please keep posting about your experiences with headsets/adapters and if they work, it would be great to see some pictures how the setup looks like. Then it's easier for everyone to get an idea how clumsy or easy the setups are!
  10. Germany

Germany Banned

There really aren't so many cables like you think. They all connect and are basically one cord in the end. I'm getting the Phillips iPhone Microphone Adapter (hopefully) today. I'll post back or pm you and tell you how they are.