Voip App + Asterisk PBX = Works....But

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by kingtux, Jan 9, 2008.

1. kingtux

kingtux New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello all,

1st I want to say great place to gather information!!! So I got a 16giger for x-mas and love it...only took me about an 1hour of having it to jailbreak which even makes it more useful for me. Anyway I was very happy to see there was a VOIP app available since thats my primary communications at home and at remote locations. I run my own asterisk PBX at home which all my voip calls get routed through when I initiate a call through my sip softphone on my laptop and hardphones around the house....works great and love it.

So I've manged to get my ipod to make calls though my pbx but the sound is real choppy...
    At first I thought something on my network might be eating up my bandwidth to be causing this but, I did some troubleshooting and everything was normal.
    So I made call from my laptop(wifi) to double check my pbx was working correctly and I get a crystal clear phone call....so thats not the problem

I stood right in front of my wifi AP and made call from the ipod...And I got the same results so its not the wifi connection?? Has anyone also experienced this?? I don't know if its the app or an app i've installed on my ipod that could be causing this??

Any Ideas??
  2. hockeycraze12000

hockeycraze12000 New Member

i use asterisk too...

the sound is really choppy for me too but the app is still in beta and there are probably gonna have a new version with asterisk support
  3. blizma

blizma New Member

Hey dude.. Theres a topic simular were i posted a load of info which might intresst you.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22863

Can you pm me your msn addy?
    Seems you are one step ahead of me. I can provide high spec vds. So we get top quality sound + transmition, and that its on 24/7
  4. deltaspecops

deltaspecops New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    its choppy for everyone.
  5. mynameisBEEKMAN

mynameisBEEKMAN Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    is Asterisk PBX a free SIp server

can i run ity off my PC and call landline and mobiles for free with it, and how do i set it up, cause i tried, and couldne find any .exe or .msi ect.......
  6. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's due to the way the application is handling the sound right now.
    SIP VoIP app is in very early stage of development by touchmods team, and it still have ways to go to handle the sound better. Right now, it grabs the sound, saves them in little segments, convert to the correct format and then send it to the VoIP server, as such, it is a little bit choppy and what not... this should improve as new versions of the software is made available, with better sound handling.
  7. blizma

blizma New Member

BEEKMAN BEEKMAN -->

Services like freecall.com basically set up applications like SipX or Asterix PBX and sell there service. You can run exactly the same service on your pc for free.. just means you have to have your pc on all the time. Or you can buy a lycos vds and put it on there. then it is on 24/7. im currently working on that.
    I have tried on Freebsd and redhat. Debian im trying tonight! 9whihc should work cus the others fail)