VNSea Tips for connecting over the internet.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by zzang82, Nov 7, 2007.

1. zzang82

zzang82 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have been working one this for like days...

I finally got it!!!

I was always able to aconnect over the same router.
    But I couldn't figure out how to connect over the internet.
    I wanted to control my computer at school or anywhere in the world.
    And everybody else will love it too

Please Register or Log in to view images

First of all, this is not a tutorial.
    This is just tips for connecting over the internet.
    If you could connect over the router.
    This isn't going to be that hard.

If you are in same router you will probably use 192.168.x.x (maybe different)
    but in order to connect over the internet you will need your internet ip address.
    (Thank you "ydoucare")

"If you're trying to connect to a machine over the internet, you need the PUBLIC (WAN) IP address of the router, not the internal IP of the machine. You can either find this in your router, or go to a site like whatismyip.com. 192.168.x.x is an internal IP address and can only be seen within the private network.

You then have to open the ports in the router's firewall (if needed) and then forward them to the machine (using the machine's internal IP) that is running the VNC server. Most routers have a port forwarding section in the admin control panel where you can do this.

Again, 192.168.x.x is not a public routable IP. Your public IP is the IP address assigned to your Cable/DSL modem (which is passed onto your router), or whatever internet service you have."

-ydoucare-

THANK YOU AGAIN.
    BUT this didn't work for me. and if this doesn't work,
    go to this link.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-72801.html

You will see what's there and will be able to figure it out.

If your router supports dyndns, it will be fantastic.

go to http://dyndns.com

make an free account and make an hostname and set that up in your router.

I use Linksys WRT150N.

You put your user name and password and hostname in your router setting.

and also on your iPod Touch, you should put the hostname that you created earlier instead of ip address. it will work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and BTW, Tight VNC sucks ass, it's really slow.
    I'm using Ultra. and it's pretty fast!!!

I don't think I explained things well.. If you have questions PM me or reply here

I don't know if I can help you much but I'll try

Have a nice day everyone

2. siufa

siufa New Member

I am happy that everything worked out well for you.

I am not sure if you explained it well for newbis how setup an VNC server, but here's a short summery from me:

If you want to reach your PC from any place with Wifi internet with Itouch consider this

1) you need to install a remote software -> I recommend you to use the freeware UltraVNC as the installing remote software on all the PCs you want to controll remotelly and configure them with password and which port to use to get through your router to your remote PC.
    2) Setup in the UltraVNC server Options window (double click on blue eye in the taskbar after installation)
    for example

Dads_pc is given port Main 5900 - Http 5800

sisters_pc
    is given port Main 5901 - Http 5801

your_own_pc
    is given port Main 5902 - Http 5802

3) create and setup an account for free at www.dyndns.org to get an always reachable address for your destination PC in case your provider changes your Public IP address after 24 hours. (thats my case @home)

Usually in order to remotelly contact your PC you need to know the public IP address of your router (like 214.56.12.56).
    With the address I do not mean the "internal IP adress". I mean the "public IP address", which you can see if you go on sites like whatismyip.com.
    What dyndns.org can do for you is, that it checks your changing public IP periodically and gives you the option to only know ONE ADRESS (yourown.dyndns.org instead of everytime changing public IP blabla 213.43.53.64, 134.22.123.44,...)

Nowadays routers tend to support DNS services like the one provided by dyndns.org. But if your router doesn't do not worry, there is a solution I found out.

You can use a DynDns Updater program (get it @ http://www.dyndns.com/support )
    It will run in windows background and synchronize with the dyndns server periodically. So the dyndns server will always be uptodate whenever your provider changes your public IP address.

4) After you have setup the dyndns.org account I would test if your yourown.dyndns.org is working correctly through going to Windows Command prompt and doing the following:
    4.1 go into the command dos prompt (Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt)
    4.2 type in your command prompt window: ping yourown.dyndns.org

If you get a positive response than your yourown.dyndns.org address is pointing over successfully to your router.

5) Now turn OFF the DHCP function on your router. Usually when you login on your router, there is a simple TURN OFF/Disable button associated to DHCP.
    I think the step is crucial, because when you associate port numbers to more than one PC, the internal IPs should stay fixed, because of the ports assigned to them.

6) Next I would setup fix internal IP adresses to your PCs in your network environment:

Setup this up in the router: for example if you have 3 PCs at home you could give following addresses:
    Dads_pc is 192.168.2.55

sisters_pc
    is 192.168.2.66

your_own_pc

All that addressing examples above can be applied if your routers address (also known as default gateway) is in the range of e.g. 192.168.2.0 / 255.255.255.0

If for some reason it would go from 10.0.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 (Telstra default) you would need assign
    Dads_pc is 10.0.0.55

sisters_pc
    is 10.0.0.66

your_own_pc

7) After that you need to tell windows to use fix "internal IPs"
    You set this up by going to
    7.1 START>Control Panel>Network Connections>WIFI or LAN Network Connection > Properties
    7.2. Next highlight checked Internet Protocoll (TCP/IP) and press Properties button
    7.3 When you are on your dads_pc and the IP range is from 192........you write something like this:
    Use the following (internal) IP address:
    IP address: 192.168.2.55
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway (aka internal address of your router - use the address you use to visit the routers configuration page): in my example it is: 192.168.2.1

Use the following DNS server addresses:
    Preferred DNS server (the same as gateway): 192.168.2.1
    Alternate DNS server: leave blank

8) Repeat the STEP 7 with all your PCs at home. -> e.g. your sister_pc and your_own_pc

9) Now we have to tell the router on which ports it should let your ITouch (or any Internet-PC) through to which PC in your home.
    So, you now have to go the router and open ports via NAT (port fowarding) in your router else you will be blocked.
    9.1 I don't know the exact procedure on your router, but there is some place on the "router-configuration-page" where you assign to specific internal IP addresses - specific UPD/TCP port numbers.
    You have to assign in our example:

In case of your dads pc:
    192.168.2.55 is given port TCP & UDP -> 5900 respectively 5800

In case of your sisters pc:
    192.168.2.66 is is given port TCP & UDP -> 5901 respectively 5801

In case of your own pc:
    192.168.2.77 is given port TCP & UDP -> 5902 respectively 5802

10) You contact the computers from your itouch with VNCSea by only knowing

youname.dyndns.org:5900 or :5901 or :5902 AND of course the password

The cool thing is also, that you can type on any Internet PC in any browser with Java support -> http://yourname.dyndns.org:5800 or :5801 or :5802 <- and remotelly control from e.g. Firefox without any remotesoftware installed locally on that particular PC

Ask please if somthing unclear

I am personally remote controlling on a regular basis my dads laptop and home desktop pc in germany from my living place Australia and it works wonderfully with itouch
  3. steeped

steeped New Member

OK I was with you until I reached step 4 and 5.

I forwarded my ports, made steeped.dyndns.org, but the part where we assign ports... how do i do this with a linksys router?
  4. steeped

steeped New Member

In step 6, I should assign each computer an IP address... about where in my routers admin control thing will I find the place to input these computer names and ip addresses?

Here, I attached screen shots of what I did with my router setting while I followed your steps.

What am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

• vnc.JPG
      vnc.JPG
      File size:
      262.6 KB
      Views:
  5. siufa

siufa New Member

OK. All routers behave slightly different with the inputting. My router allowed to take the mac address of the devices and assign fix IPs to them.

I noticed that you gave a range of 5800 to 5900 on both protocolls.

I think you should give it only

Name: VNC 5800
    Start: 5800
    End: 5800
    Protocol: Both
    IP Address: 192.168.1.15

AND

Name: VNC 5900
    Start: 5900
    End: 5900
    Protocol: Both
    IP Address: 192.168.1.15

I saw that you haven't deactivated the DHCP. Maybe you can do something with assigning the IPs if you deactivate the DHCP.
  6. steeped

steeped New Member

Alright I forwarded the ports like you said, but I still do not know how/where to assign IP's.
  7. siufa

siufa New Member

did you at least assigned fix internal IP address in your Network Connection Properties in Windows? Cause the port you opened only applies to 192.168.1.15!

The thing I was worried about was, that if you have a lot of PCs and devices @home and all get automatic random DHCP IP adresses assigned, the port would not work properly. -> so its important to set it to 192.168.1.15 in the Network Configuration Properties on your PC.
  8. steeped

steeped New Member

I already had this filled out - look at attached image.

Attached Files:

• vnc.JPG
      vnc.JPG
      File size:
      262.6 KB
      Views:
  9. siufa

siufa New Member

hey do you have ICQ? maybe its easier to find out
  10. steeped

steeped New Member

ICQ is still around?