VNsea over WAN; help needed!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by steeped, Nov 7, 2007.

1. steeped

steeped New Member

I need to connect to my computer through WAN using the new cool VNS Touch application. This is what I did so far:

I forwarded my ports as the image below shows. On my iPod, inside VNsea I clicked the "new" button, and I did the following:

Name: steeped
    Address: 99.238.26.137 (I am only revealing my IP address for help. Please stay out hackers.)
    Password: (my password matches up with the password in the VNC Admin Property's)
    Display: 0
    Shared: OFF
    View Only: OFF
    Pixel Depth: 16

What am I doing wrong? Please help!
  2. zzang82

zzang82 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    your port number?

if it's default. it's 5800

99.238.26.137:5800

try that.

have you done port forwading on your router?
  3. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

I'm having a similar problem. I want to be able to connect to my computer from anywhere in the world, but It's not as simple as I thought. Also, at my school, I can connect to the WiFi network we have, and I get an IP address like 172.31.64.xxx, and the computer connecting through an ethernet plug as the IP address 172.31.100.120. I don't care if I can't connect at school, but worldwide access to my computer would be great.

Thanks
  4. camote

camote New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Im having the same problem connecting from outside my local network... I already forwarded the ports but its still not working..

It works if im on my home network and use my computers local ip address so im pretty sur im inputting the stuff right.. Its just not working
  5. zzang82

zzang82 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  6. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

Umm...That's complicated. When you forward the wedsite to your IP do you mean your local IP, like 192.168.xx.xx, or your internet IP that's random each time?
  7. zzang82

zzang82 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    why is your ip random each time?

are you using modem?
  8. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

Yeah, my internet IP is random each time, but I use DSL, and I never disconnect, so it always is the same.

What IP do I put in the DynDNS server stuff? The Internet one I'm guessing, right?
  9. zzang82

zzang82 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    oh ok. you put your internet ip address..

if you actually go to that website it will automatically tell your what you ip address is and you just put it there.
  10. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

Awesome! But from there I need to tell my router (that would be an AirPort) what website it is and what account and stuff. How would one go about that, as well as port forwarding?

Sorry for being such a n00b, but I've never worked with IP address related stuff.