VNSEA over internet and not only lokal?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by tgbnhy, Jan 12, 2008.

1. tgbnhy

tgbnhy New Member

Hi!

I'm just wondering if that is possible?

Now I'm only able to use it when on my lokal WLAN but I wanto be able to control my computer while not home but in a WiFi.

I'm using Ultra VNC on my computer rightnow. Anyone using it or know how to config it to be able to connect over the internet?
  2. hockeycraze12000

hockeycraze12000 New Member

as far as i know.... it will only work on a WLAN Network and not a WI-fi

hope this helps....
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, if you setup your port forwarding on your router correctly, you should be able to access your computer via VNsea from wherever you are - I know as I was able to do so with no problems from over 2,000 miles away...

To connect over the internet you need either a connection with a pretty stable IP address (mine doesn't seem to change regularly) or using a dynamic DNS service (search, and I'm sure you'll find one). You connect with a different IP address (your external address - www.whatismyip.com ) and you need to go to your router and setup a persistent port forwarding to your computer's IP address (e.g., so that every connection to port 5900 or whatever port you setup will go through the router/firewall to your PC).

Make sure you've got a password setup on your VNC and if you want added protection, pick a port other than 5900 (maybe something random between 5900 and 6000)...
  4. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, I have just set things up so that I can control my computer from anywhere in the world using my external IP address. My problem is: How do I set up a second computer that is under the same external IP address as the first one to be accessed by my ipod. I thought that VNSea on the ipod only connected through port 5900. How do I get it so that it can connect through 5901 so that it will redirect to the second computer instead of going to the computer that was set up on 5900?
  5. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Well, I'm not sure, but I thought every computer on any network all had different ip addresses. That no computers have the same ip address. But I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. But to connect on a different port than 5900, you add it in the ip address after a colon (ex 192.168.1.105:5901 or whatever the ip address and port is).
  6. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

I just tested to make sure, and, yes, two computers behind the same router will have the exact same IP. That doesn't matter though; if you want to run VNC on more than one of your computers, you just assign a different port to each VNC client, then forward the appropriate ports to the appropriate (internal, such as 192.168.1.64) IP addresses. Then all you need to do is type in your network's IP address (acquired by going to a site such as whatismyip.com when at home), and select the appropriate port depending on which computer you wish to connect to.
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've got 3 computers behind a router -- as indicated above, just use different ports for each. You can even not change your VNC setup from 5900 on the individual platforms. Just port forward 5900 to computer #1 (port 5900), 5901 to computer #2 (port 5900), etc. Works just fine... You have to port forward anyways...
  8. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ok, so then in the application on the ipod, for the address I would type in ##.###.###.##:5901 for the second computer, for the 3rd computer I would type in ##.###.###.##:5902 and so on and so forth? For this to work does there have to be a port forwarded through the original 5900? I tried if when I had a port forwarded through 5901 and 5902 but not 5900 and it didn't work. When I forward ports, am I supposed to make the base port 5900 even if the one I am doing is 5901?