VNC

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by pnasca, Jan 21, 2008.

1. pnasca

pnasca New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i understand you can control your computer. do u have to be connected to ur comp? be on the internet or what? or even be close or what?
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Yes, it is possible. You can do it locally via WiFi or remotely with your IP address (or a DynDNS address, which is what I use.)

It's fiddly to control on the Touch, but it does work as long as you set it up right, which does take a bit of doing.
  3. bmxkelowna

bmxkelowna New Member

my works great for controling my computer from my ipod but only when im at home on the same ip.
    if i go to an other wifi link and try it wont work, how come? can i fix this?
  4. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah I have the same problem. My current theory (and I'm sure I don't know what the hell I'm talking about) is that being behind an NAT router will cause this problem. I'm behind an NAT router. You have to use the Repeater that was provided with the install package. It supposedly can get through my firewall. I've done everything short of uninstalling my firewall AND running the repeater but it will still not work on a wireless network that is not my homes wireless network. I really don't know how to get the repeater running though. I've tried looking for a tutorial and I've found a few but I think they are all for an older version of VNC. I'm going do a search after I get done posting this for a more up to date tutorial for version 1.0.2. There is also a beta out for 1.0.4. Is this compatible with the application on the ipod? I'm nervous about trying it.
  5. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Search - there are plenty of answers on this.

Long story short - you need to open up a port on your router to forward connections from port 5900 to your computer. And you need to connect using the IP you're seen on on the internet (go to www.whatismyip.com). If your IP changes regularly, you'll need to setup a dyndns.org account...

Anyways, search for details...
  6. trock0002

trock0002 New Member

derekVOF hit the nail on the head. He is right