VMware or boot camp for zune hd?

Discussion in 'iDevice competitors' started by Mic Tyson, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Mic Tyson

Mic Tyson New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    im tryin to decide whether to use vmware or boot camp for installing windows. i only would use windows for the zune software and nothing else, but i want it to be able to sync and function fully and im not sure if vmware would work as good as boot camp in that regard. I also want my music library to work between both both itunes and zune software where if i burn a cd for instance, both the zune and itunes library would have the album. i don't know if i could share my music library in boot camp or VMware. hopefully somebody can help me with my questions

thanks
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I wonder if it works with something like CrossOver. Does it require .NET 3.X? If not, I'd just virtualize Windows XP. But then.. The problem is, where do you keep your library?
  3. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm pretty sure VMware works for syncing and would function fine.
  4. Mic Tyson

Mic Tyson New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    its on my hardrive in the music folder. i saw that vmware lets you transfer files so i could transfer my library to zune but i wonder if the folder would update on zune if i added music with itunes and vice versa
  5. Mosaic

Mosaic Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I use VMWare Fusion, and it works flawlessly.
  6. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Which partition? Windows or OS X? Thats the problem. In VMWare, you can't see your OS X partition. You can create a shared folder to transfer over it's "Network", but you can't see the OS X partition.
  7. Mic Tyson

Mic Tyson New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    im only running osx right now. i want to transfer the music folder to VMware when i finish downloading vista.

on a side note, is there a way for me to put a downloaded version of vista on VMware without having a disk? i bought it off microsoft online and downloaded the files
  8. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So wait, you're going to make a copy of your Music library... JUST for Windows? If I were you, just bootcamp Windows and then install (1) If you have Snow Leopard, install the Boot Camp drivers so you can use your Zune software to read your Music library on your OS X partition but remember, you cannot WRITE to your OS X partition (2) Install MacDrive to do the same but with Write support.
  9. Mic Tyson

Mic Tyson New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    no i really want both itunes and the zune software to share the same library since i have a touch and a zune hd. i dont want to have to deal with 2 libraries and take the time to update each one
  10. Mosaic

Mosaic Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If I'm not mistaking, that's the only option you have.