VLC app updated for iPhone

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by RandomEskimo, Oct 25, 2010.

1. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    VLC updated for iPhone

Please Register or Log in to view images

Earlier today the VLC media player app was updated to work on iPhone and iPod touch as well as just the iPad.

The VLC app makes it possible to sync and watch media without having to convert it to the standard iPhone .mp4 format, although due to it being a software based media decoder it may still lack the oomph to play larger HD videos (on the iPhone and iPod there isn’t much need to watch HD anyway).

I took some time this morning to test the app out with several different media types: .mp4 .avi .3gp and .flv on my 3g iPod.
    First I tried an .mp4 of an episode of Elfen Lied that iTunes rejected, it worked perfectly and ran for the correct length of 25 minutes (after converting it ran for 50 minutes???) I next tried another .mp4, this time a HD video of a Them Crooked Vultures performance, upon selecting the video it prompted the app to show the above warning. I clicked ‘Try anyway’, after a short pause the audio started, leaving the video paused at the beginning.

I then tried the remaining formats mentioned with all working perfectly.

The UI, is similar to the iPhone Video app although with more orange, it is easy to navigate your videos and VLC also supports the deletion of videos. The app is able to play videos in land scape or portrait, a feature missing from the iPhone videos app.
    I found it to be lacking an option to ‘zoom’ in to play media at full screen; I can only hope that this is fixed in a future update. I also found it hard to grab the volume slider. I also experienced a couple of app crashes in my twenty minutes or so testing, one of these was caused by the aforementioned HD video. The other happened when I synced another video to the app while it was open.

Despite these minor bugs, I found this to be an easy to use and versatile app, and for the grand price of free it is well worth a look.

Go grab it while it's hot: AppStore

Attached Files:

2. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Why does everyone always post something that was posted earlier?
  3. RandomEskimo

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Ah nuts you mean I wasn't first!
  4. Peebs

Peebs New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Was just about to point that out... [link]
  5. RandomEskimo

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Ah well this is more of a semi-review anyway.
  6. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
  7. TXF001

TXF001 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Fail. I been waiting or vlc on my iPod.. And what happens..? My iPod isn't supported..
  8. Donka

Donka Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    MKV support is still poor - choppy playback on iPad and iPhone 4. Divx / Xvid play perfectly though.
  9. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    vlc has been working great for me

course I use Divx, Xvid, screeners and dvd's

on ipod touch 3g 32 gig it plays divx avi's flawlessly and xvids. I never convert cause it's just waste of time and aggrivation, but now like yesterday I just drag and dropped new RED dvd scr and was watching it while I was waiting in doctors office for appointment.
  10. ShinyPants

ShinyPants New Member

I hope hardware decoding gets added in the future so we can watch 720p clips.