iPhone 3G Visual Voicemail on Jailbroken iPhone 3G not working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nomar1245, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Nomar1245

Nomar1245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I recently jailbroke my iPhone 3G using redsnow 0.7.1 and then 0.7.2 and after both jail breaks I haven't been able to use Visual Voicemail.

After multiple attempts on both I used two websites that setup the data for me, including teathering. The second site I used setup the tethering and it works well. It's also supposed to setup MMS but I haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

I've read several threads and tutorials on many sites including this one, and most say to do this(taken from another thread here):

Check the APN for the visual voicemail:

Under Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network

Unfortunately I haven't had the Cellular Data Network option at any point yet.

I've added a picture to show the options I do have:

Please Register or Log in to view images

The only other option which is slightly visible, is that for WiFi once I get into the network category.

If there is another site that can do this for me, or something I can do manually?

Important info:
    iPhone 3G
    Firmware 3.0
    Most recent jailbreak tool: redsnow 0.7.2
    Using AT&T
    In the United States
    Data Works
    Internet Tethering Works
    MMS is said to work but remains untested.

Thanks for the help. I've found this site very useful for both my iPhone and iPod Touch.
  2. userunknown00

userunknown00 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey Nomar1245,

I've heard going to Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings sometimes fixes the visual voicemail problem.

Hopefully this will help with the MMS issue. Since you're using AT&T, and they have an exclusive contract with Apple, they assume you don't really need to mess with your cellular network settings. We all know what assuming does.

These instructions assume the following to be true:

1. You have a jailbroken iPhone
    2. You elected to install Cydia or Icy when you were jailbreaking it. I will assume Cydia.
    3. You have SSH installed. If not, go to Cydia and install something like OpenSSH
    4. You have an SFTP client installed (like FileZilla)
    5. You're in a wireless hotspot and you know the ip of your phone. You can find that by going to Settings --> General --> Network --> Wi-Fi --> {Whatever your wireless network name is here}

So! Let's get down to business.

Step 1: Fire up FileZilla and put in the IP of your iPhone as the host, username root, and password alpine if you haven't changed it. As an aside, if you haven't changed it I would strongly recommend that you do. It will ask you if you want to trust the host. Select yes.

Step 2: Navigate to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/ATT_US.bundle/ and drag carrier.plist over to your desktop. Since the plist file is binary, you'll have to convert it to xml before you can edit it. I personally used the iAppCat converter: http://iappcat.com/plist/bin2xml. Click on 'Browse' from iAppCat's website and select the carrier.plist file you just dragged to your desktop. Click 'Convert'. It will ask you to save the file. Save it, then open it up in a text editor.

Step 3:
    Add the following two lines to the file, just underneath <dict>. It should be line 5 and 6 that you're using here.

<key>AllowEDGEEditing</key>
    <true/>

Step 4: Convert the file back to binary with iAppCat. Save it and rename it to carrier.plist. Go back to FileZilla and rename the one on the phone carrier.plist.old. Drag the new and improved carrier.plist from your computer to the phone. Reboot the phone.

That will open up the option in Settings --> General --> Network --> Cellular Data Network. Add the following information under the MMS section:

APN: wap.cingular
    User: wap@cingulargprs.com
    Pw: CINGULAR1
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    Proxy: 66.209.11.32
    (This information courtesy Ben M at http://help.benm.at/help.php)

Then reboot the phone, and you should have MMS capability. It does work for me, by the way. However, I've tried this on my friends 3GS phones and while it enabled the MMS option, it continually fails sending the message itself. I haven't yet tried this on any other 3G phone to see if its a hardware limitation (i.e., the 3GS phones are hobbled) or a carrier (i.e., text plan) limitation.

Hope that helps!

userunknown00
  3. Nomar1245

Nomar1245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Thank you very much. That's a fantastic response. I really appreciate it
  4. twigster9

twigster9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    AT&T's visual voice mail system is a piece of s***, its shot.
    http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/18/att-is-a-big-steaming-heap-of-failure/