Vista x64 PC locks ups when connecting Touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by norbert, Jun 20, 2009.

1. norbert

norbert New Member

When I connect my Touch 2G to my Vista Home Premium 64-bit machine, more than half the time it locks up, and I have to hard reboot. Usually when I first boot the computer, the Touch will connect properly. After I disconnect the Touch (using eject feature in iTunes) and later reconnect, it practically always locks up. It doesn't matter if I have shut down iTunes or not.

The Touch is not jailbroken. The firmware is 3.0, but this happened on firmware 2.2.1; iTunes version is 8.2.
  2. PopCornPlaya9924

PopCornPlaya9924 Banned

i know youve probly heard this but vista sucks f***ing dog ass... get xp back.. legit.. seriously
  3. tonesofmyhome

tonesofmyhome New Member

Yeah PopCornPlaya9924 you're opinions about vista are really useful in this situation...

I have Vista Home Premium 64-bit and have the same problem though it isn't always fatal (meaning not always the maximum painintheass). I assumed it had something to do w/ having to respring/boot after large ipa files are loaded and I noticed it was sometimes worse when syncing both apps and media in the same sync session. It's something that has been happening just in the last month or so for me and it has been accompanied by a great increase in the initial sync moment b/f the progress bar comes up detailing the individual file transfers.
  4. BlackjackGT

BlackjackGT New Member

fwiw, I have Vista 64-bit as well. I've only had my Touch 2G for a couple days, but it's worked fine in Vista 64-bit with iTunes to this point (as far as Vista not crashing -- knock on wood). I did buy the 3.0 upgrade on Friday.

I kinda like troubleshooting-investigating, so if I can find something specifically helpful I'll post it.

Is this a "blue screen" type error, or does Vista 64-bit "freeze up." (i.e., stop responding)?
  5. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    This is 'probably' an issue with 64bit drivers for the usb bus of the mother board. I would first make sure you have the latest drivers and look for any known issues with 64bit. If you have access to one try a pci or pcie USB card instead of the onboard USB. Make sure you are not using a hub or anything other than a straight extension(may even eliminate that)

Beyond that, if you have a spare drive, you could reinstall to that with a fresh install and see if it helps, but only if you have a spare drive to try it with.

Vista is a sad OS, and the 64bit version doubly so. I have not yet tried it but I hear good things about win7 and it is free to use until March. You might try that again if you have a spare drive, I'm sure you don't want to lose what you have installed now.
  6. norbert

norbert New Member

I may have come up with a workaround

I'm the OP, and I've discovered something which I hope will be helpful to others. The machine I am using is an HP tx2510us tablet PC. There is an advanced feature in Vista's power options which is called "USB selective suspend setting". This apparently suspends power to the USB ports after the computer has been inactive for a period of time. In my case, I believe the ports would not become active again quickly enough and thus would lock up.

I set the "USB selective suspend setting" to "disabled" and haven't had any problems with locking up upon connecting the Touch. Also, since this usually happens after a period of inactivity, maybe moving the mouse around or doing something else to cause the computer to become more "alive" might bring the USB ports out of suspended state. (My tablet was not in sleep mode".)