Virtual memory

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Deadhead, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Deadhead

Deadhead New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    So does anyone know if it's possible to develop an app to give the iPod touch virtual memory, or that sort of thing too deeply embedded in the OS?
  2. that one guy

that one guy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Virtual memory=ram so no
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It is feasible for Jailbroken devices in my view, but not an easy prospect. The reason why Apple does not offer swap writing to the large (8GB, 16GB, 32GB) flash drives is that flash drives supposedly have a life span based on the times data is written to them. Thus you could considerably reduce the life of your device with constant memory swaps to the flash... the counter argument is that this would be very useful in helping avoid memory related crashes and whoever wrote such a hack could also incorporate an algorithm for efficient writing to the flash to help extend and maximise the drives lifespan.

That's my two bits. I've been doing some research on RAM management recently so I may not have all the facts but that is the position of this problem to my current knowledge.
  4. Deadhead

Deadhead New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Oh, I never even thought of the 10,000 R/W cycle (or so) life span.... THANKS!
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Still that would just create a few bad sectors and you could run an algorithm that spread the r/w operations across the free drive space to maximise the lifespan, as I mentioned. Plus you would hope that the original swap functionality would only kick in when the 128MB SDRAM was under strain... it is feasible and I reckon it should be a Cydia app given the high number of background daemons and mobile substrate hooks running on jailbroken devices. Would be nice to see someone looking more deeply into it.