Virtual DJ-like program suggestion

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by brazlyn, Dec 9, 2007.

1. brazlyn

brazlyn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    As I read in another Thread some people (including me) would like to have a dj mixing program on their iPoT.

So here is my suggestion on how it could work:

Since the display of the iPoT isn't big enough to show every feature of VDJ at the same time I had the idea of a dropdownmenu-like interface.

I've made this little animation (Not perfect, just to show my idea):

Please Register or Log in to view images

The arrows show that something can be enlarged.
  2. blackjak231

blackjak231 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    That is a good idea, but it is gonna be hard to make all those menus fit the screen!
    I like the idea! Now, lets hope that somebody will see this, and make it an app!
  3. Wesche

Wesche New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    it sounds like an awesome idea !!!
  4. zachmanz8

zachmanz8 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The only thing that sucks about programs like this is that at their current stage they are really only toys. This is mainly due to their input lag. if you fool around with beatphone and have any background with mpc's or turntables you'll realize that the accuracy and immediacy of input response is essential for anything to productively matter. Beatphone 2.6 lags and is just flat out slow responding. Something like this needs to be understood/fixed before any extensive development is necessary like drop down menus and other options.
  5. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

screw all the fancy stuff. just give me some pitch control, a play button that responds like an MPC pad (relatively low-lag, preferably) and a file selector.

mixing on two virtual turntables ableton-style would be a cool trick for the touch, though. killer mockups, man.

Is pitch control a tough thing to pull off on the touch? isn't that basically a similar concept to the playback speed of audiobooks, etc?
  6. brazlyn

brazlyn New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    What fancy Stuff???
    I've just chosen the basic features you really need.
  7. blksqrl187

blksqrl187 New Member

Well, your renditions feature a full complement of details that would bog the touch down, like live update on your wave display, the idea of virtually scratching (serato style), two mp3 streams playing simultaneously and all of the EQ in the signal chain at once. I'd like to see this pulled off minus the inherent lag.

I guess my idea is to make it a little simpler to keep things lag-free. For those who have a mixer, plug your touch in (using a dock connector to RCA cable) to your mixer RCA lines, and go from there. 1 track with pitch control, keep it stable and lagfree.

I love the idea, but considering the limitations of the touch, its a whole lot to put on a little ARM processor. Definitely not hating on the idea, just trying to be realistic.

Anyone know how hard it would be to code something like this? would I want to wait for an SDK or just get to work in cocoa?