Viewing camera roll in photos (GREAT for using wallpaper)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by twistedumbrella, Feb 5, 2008.

1. twistedumbrella

twistedumbrella New Member

You can now install CameraRoll from my repo: http://twistedumbrella.googlepages.com/twist.xml
    This will add the Camera Roll folder, remove the Camera icon (doesn't work anyway) but NOT symlink files for use with wallpaper. If this function is desired, please PM me. Based on your feedback I can determine if this should be added. My method will still allow all 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 programs to function properly if you are not using 1.1.3.

Activate Camera Roll in Photo Album:

SSH to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app and edit N45AP.plist
    You should find a section named capabilites, add the red text into that. Just make sure it comes after the <dict> below capabilities and before the </dict> after standAloneContacts.

<key>capabilities</key>
    <dict>
    <key>piezo-clicker</key>
    <true/>
    <key>camera</key>
    <true/>

<key>standAloneContacts</key>
    <true/>
    </dict>

Removing the camera icon from Springboard:

SSH to /Applications/MobileSlideShow.app open the info.plist and remove the <dict> blah blah </dict> at the bottom that refers to the Camera function
    After you respring the camera icon will no longer be visible

Camera Roll picture format:

JPEG images named IMG_####.JPG and have an accompanying .THM file preview icon

Adding pictures to the Camera Roll (1.1.2):

I have been doing this through Dev Team 1.1.3, so I can't make any promises regarding earlier firmwares, but I beleive Wallpaper saves to the correct location
    /private/var/root/Media/DCIM/100APPLE

Adding pictures to the Camera Roll (1.1.3):

You can either copy all the pictures you have saved to the camera roll using wallpaper, whcih will be in /private/var/root/Media/DCIM/100APPLE, or get new ones.
    Place them in /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE

Go to your photo album. Camera roll should be your first choice. The camera icon will still be there and I haven't gotten that icon to update to the first picture like the other ones, but what do you expect? The camera roll should now contain all the pictures you just added.

Wallpaper (1.1.3):

SSH to /private/var/root/Media and back up everything you want to save. Copy these files to /private/var/mobile/Media. Once this is done, delete the entire /private/var/root/Media folder. Create a link file named Media that links to /private/var/mobile/Media
    Wallpaper option "Save to Camera Roll" will now save files that can be viewed through Photos under Camera Roll. Make sure you set recursive permissions to Media as 777.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. lvlln

lvlln New Member

I tried opening the n45ap.plist file, and while I can make out some of the text, it's also filled with a bunch of nonsense, as if it's encoded or something. I'm running 1.1.3 Devteam JB. Does anyone know what might be up?
  3. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Use this website to convert it...

http://140.124.181.188/~khchung/cgi-bin/plutil.cgi
  4. twistedumbrella

twistedumbrella New Member

When I opened mine, it was the same bunch of malarky... I just copy and pasted a default one and added back in all the mods that were done. At least next time it won't take an hour to remember everything that was changed. Thanks a bunch. This will also be useful for apple apps I am trying to edit, since apple plists always seem to be jumbled up cr@p.
  5. t3hJonneh

t3hJonneh New Member

Ignore this post, I got it working. ^-^

Thanks!
  6. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Neat, thanks. Now, can I just edit the new, readable .pist file and then copy and paste it over to my iPod, or do I have to re-encode it before doing that?
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    open using Wordpad rather than Notepad and you will retain the formatting and not get all the 'nonsense'...
  8. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Actually, I get the same results when opening with Wordpad. It's formatted nicely, but it's only 5 or 6 lines of text total, with a lot of broken-up non-letter bits mixed in with some readable stuff.

Here's what it looks like:

Please Register or Log in to view images

So, can the iPod read a N45AP.plist file that's just readable by you or me, or do I need to encode it first before uploading the edited version to my iPod?
  9. SimonTheSnowman

SimonTheSnowman Active Member

but wallpaper has a feature so it can go to the wallpaper library already

but i love this idea too

10. AlliPodHax

AlliPodHax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I tried it on my DEV JB 1.1.3 and its not working, is there something i'm missing i added the
    <key>camera</key>
    </true>
    still notin'

Cheers,
    Ben.