View PDF on iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by adm531, Feb 7, 2008.

1. adm531

adm531 New Member

I have a jailboken ipod touch with books.app, but this cannot store PDF's. Is there a way to load my PDF's onto the ipod and view them.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. ali.bigolo

ali.bigolo Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    It's called PDFViewer under Utilities in the installer
  3. adm531

adm531 New Member

is there a file i need to make under

var/root/media

to store the pdf's in
  4. tangier

tangier New Member

I prefer using Safari to view PDFs. You can't search them, but being able flip to landscape is vital for me and the last time I used PDF Viewer it wasn't able to do this. I also want to be able to work with hundreds different PDF files at a time. The way I set it up is complicated, but works very well for me.

note: this wasn't working for me on 1.1.3

I. install Apache through Installer. It should be in the "Network" category

(The directory for the Apache server will be in the ~200 mb partition of the iPod. So if you have a lot of apps or if your PDFs are going to take up a lot of space, then go to step II. Otherwise you can go to step III)

II. create a symbolic link to a folder outside of the 200 mb partition. (i don't really know if this is the best way to do it, but it's what i came up with and it works well for me.)
    1. by either using Term-vt100 on your iPod or Terminal (or whatever) on your computer create a folder called "Documents" on your iPod. I made mine in /var/root/Media/
    2. go to /Library/WebServer/ and delete the "Documents" folder in there
    3. then, in the terminal, type:
    ln -s [location of your newly created Documents folder] /Library/WebServer/Documents
    since I made my Documents folder in /var/root/Media/, I wrote:
    ln -s /var/root/Media/Documents /Library/WebServer/Documents
    (capitalization matters)
    This creates a symbolic link called "Documents" in the Webserver folder that references a folder outside of the 200 mb partition.

III. put whatever PDFs you want into the Documents folder you created (e.g., /var/root/Media/Documents)

Now, if you go to http://127.0.0.1 in Safari, you'll see a directory containing your files. Within the Documents folder you can make whatever folders to organize your PDFs.

I wanted to be able to quickly access a particular folder of PDFs, so I went to this site:
    http://www.jonsthoughtsoneverything.com/iphone_apper/
    and made a webclip-like thing with an appropriate icon so I could quickly access my files. I used the Keynote icon for a folder full of class notes, so tapping the Keynote icon on my iPod takes me to http://127.0.0.1/class_notes

it was sort of annoying to set up, but it's been the easiest way for me to read PDFs. I tried converting my PDFs to images using Automator, but I'm always moving hundreds of pages of PDFs on and off my iPod and it was just a lot easier to not convert them.

But, i'm not really computer savvy, so I might be doing this the hardest way possible.
  5. ali.bigolo

ali.bigolo Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yes just make a folder called PDF in that route and put your PDFs in there, and this does work in 1.1.3

so you'll have /var/root/Media/PDF

Ali
  6. rainman1962

rainman1962 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK...once the directory is setup, how do you access the file? I tried file://var/root/Media/PDF/(file name.pdf) but Safari couldn't handle that. I have installed the safari plug in to allow file:// support. Is there another way I can do this?
  7. ali.bigolo

ali.bigolo Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    read my original post, install that and it will automatically read the files in that folder.
  8. rainman1962

rainman1962 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK, that works if I go through the PDF viewer. Is there any application that you are aware of that allows me to view these in Safari so I can take advantage of the horizontal screen? A PDF plug-in maybe? I am using 1.1.3

Also, the PDF files I have are huge (and they are only 1 page text) ~ 5-10 MB. Any idea how much data I can but in the var/root/media/pdf? Is this within the 200 MB partition? If so, how do I make a shortcut outside the partition?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff