Videos in Orb?? Plus other Orb question.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by felixen, Mar 23, 2008.

1. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    When you click on a video, how do I make the play icon appear? I have converted the videos I want to stream. I just clicked on one video and after a few seconds the play icon appeard on the video file.

Then I tried clicking some other files, but the play icon won't appear now. These other videos are much smaller files, and I have been waiting for the play icon for a few minutes now.. So does anyone know what's wrong? How do I make it appear?

Also, I have another question. I saw that on my iPod I could choose to restart Orb on my computer. That's pretty cool I think, so I was wondering if it is possible at all to turn on the computer by using the iPod? That way I could turn on my computer and access these movies with Orb whenever I wanted. I'd be insanely awesome.. Sort of like how you can turn on the PS3 with the PSP via wifi..
  2. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Also are there any good alternatives to windows users? What's the best way to stream your media over wifi?
  3. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    anyone? I just want to be able to stream videos. I don't understand why Orb only lets me stream with some videos even though they are in the same format
  4. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  5. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    no, you can't turn your computer on by interacting with a web page generated by your computer, since your computer is off.

Orb still does not have (nor is likely to have) a quicktime video transcoder, so streaming videos is only possible if the video is already in the correct format for the touch.

If the video is in the correct format for the touch, the orb can't understand it to generate the thumbnail image, so you get the generic thumbnail.

Since streaming video pretty much eats your battery alive anyway, and you have to convert videos yourself, it's pretty much easier just to dump the videos you want on the touch, and leave the rest on your laptop, which you will need soon anyway to recharge the touch after you watch one or two movies. So you can copy over new videos while you recharge

Please Register or Log in to view images

Orb is ok for streaming audio, but the battery sucking combo of screen on + wifi on really makes all that less useful then it could be.
  6. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah I guess you're right about the battery thing. Actually the reason I wanted this to work the most is just the fact that it's cool that you can stream your movies no matter where in the world you are

but yeah, I guess it would be smarter to just put the videos I need on the iPod

Thanks
  7. FregoS

FregoS New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    OMG. Quad post? I mean C'mon! How will they help?
  8. felixen

felixen Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OMG. by bumping the topic. I don't think people feel like checking the last 3 pages to look through topics