Video Problems with 2.0 FW iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by WOWLOL, Jul 20, 2008.

1. WOWLOL

WOWLOL New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hello there. This is my first post.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Last night, I decided to update my iPod Touch 16 GB from 1.1.3 JB to 2.0 non-JB. So I updated iTunes to v7.7, plugged in my iPod, and Restored to v2.0 instead of upgrading it, cuz I wanted to make a clean installation. Blabla, iTunes started working with the iPod Touch, and a couple of minutes later, it finishes successfully.

After setting up the iPod, I decide to test some of the old stuff that previously worked. For example, there's an option in your iPod Touch's Settings to change the transition between each photo slide, and I've always had it using Cube. In v1.1.3, it was fine, 60 fps 3D animation, looked very nice. Now, with v2.0, it's very f***ing jumpy, probably 10 fps or less.

Now, another thing, is about video quality. In v1.1.3, all my videos encoded at 1.5 mbps h.264 looked very wonderful, and I even have some videos running at 59.94 fps (cuz I use a deinterlacing to progressive filtering) and it ran at FULL SPEED in the iPod Touch v1.1.3. But in v2.0, all of them have severe compression artifacts on the screen, pretty much like it happens when you use a very low bitrate, and it can't handle those 59.94 fps videos anymore.

Seems like something is eating up CPU, or something else. I think I'm gonna switch back to v1.1.3.

Can any of you test your videos and your Photo's Cube transitions? I would like to know if this issue is happening to all of you as well.
  2. sorcererx86

sorcererx86 New Member

Same here. Forwarding/rewinding in videos is horribly crappy and the cube transition is dead slow. I hope Apple will fix it in the next FW release.
  3. WOWLOL

WOWLOL New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I seriouly want Apple to fix this problem. Else, I think I'm staying 1.1.4 for a long while...
  4. f1av0rflave

f1av0rflave Banned

1.1.5 is better
  5. Madhoshi

Madhoshi New Member

I didn't even know there was a 1.1.5...
  6. WOWLOL

WOWLOL New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Any REAL improvements in 1.1.5?