Video Output

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jmcohen23, Jul 20, 2009.

1. jmcohen23

jmcohen23 Member

Hi all,

I'm currently considering upgrading my iPod to the iPod Touch. However, my main concern is the "video output". With my current iPod, I am able to dock it with my Philips HTS, and the docking station connects to my tv, thus the video will display on my tv. However, when I docked in a friend's 2.2.1 iPod Touch, no video/audio was displayed (I tried both youtube and a stored video file). However, when I select a song to play, the audio does transmit to the HTS.

I read elsewhere that apple has placed a block on the newer devices to force us to buy their video connectors.

is this true, and is there a way around it?

thanks!
  2. jmcohen23

jmcohen23 Member

I tell ya, no love for this thread....

anyhow, just curious to see if anyone has tried using an extension cable to get around the fix? perhaps the extension cable has the chip, and then transmits the signal to the older cable/docking station....
  3. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    I bellieve you have to get video out cable that is made for iPod touch/iPhone.
  4. bopsax

bopsax New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just bought a Phillips HTS3544 surround system. I get nothing when I put my iPod in the dock that came with it. I would really like to be able to use it. I'm running 3.0, not jailbroken yet but plan on it. Can you use a dock adaptor?
  5. jmcohen23

jmcohen23 Member

I have not figured it out yet.

the philips HTS system is awesome though. I contact Philips to ask for help, and they said that they do not make a compatible docking system for iPod Touch.

my next course of action is to test the apple component cable - connecting the video to the tv and audio to the sound system. however, I would lose the ability of the remote control.

I even tried to take apart the ipod dock to see if I could "squeeze" in the apple component wire, but I don't want to break anything just yet.
  6. willdacracka

willdacracka Member

Device:
    iPhone
    dont take anything apart. -_-;
  7. bopsax

bopsax New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Does anybody make a dock specifically for the 2g Touch? And where could you get a diagram or pin-out for the iPod? With the voltages, etc. I'm sure the parts would be cheap. For video and audio, you don't need any chip or anything. It's all about impedance. I'd like to get this iPod dock working with my sound system. Thanks...
  8. jmcohen23

jmcohen23 Member

the only thing that I have so far is a dock for $50 from apple, but you still have to buy the cable separately.... I checked e-bay, nothing real specific
  9. bopsax

bopsax New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm going to look into it, too. I'll let you know what I find out. Some electronics guy has the specs. If I can just find hime.

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    him, I meant
  10. jmcohen23

jmcohen23 Member

I bought the rockfish component wire from bestbuy ($45), and it works great. however, component wiring is not really a necessity since the video quality coming from the iPod is not HD.

I noticed that you could buy the composite video online for $6, and the apple dock on e-bay for $38. so that's the route I'm going. it's only an extra $50, and an extra remote control. stupid apple...