Video iPod screen broken, is it possible to replace?

Discussion in 'iPod classic, nano, etc.' started by mbulldogs11, Mar 8, 2008.

1. mbulldogs11

mbulldogs11 New Member

The other day my video ipod broke, the screen is craked. Is it possible to buy another screen and install it? My warranty with Apple is up.
  2. music4life

music4life Active Member

It sure is.
    Here's how to do it:
    -Find a screen on something like ebay or a sight that sells Apple parts and purchase it.
    -Now you'll have to take some risks by opening the iPod, but if you do it right, it's not hard at all.
    Here's how to get in:
    1.You'll want to start here:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Take a VERY small screw driver and push in and the top part of where you would plug your iPod in to charge.

Once your screw driver's in the iPod carefully slide it over to the left side and gently ply up. You'll here little clicks, now slowly move around the whole iPod and pry up gently wherever the next opening is.

DO NOT OPEN UP ANY FURTHER THAN THE PIC ABOVE!!!

Locate the battery plug-in and take your screwdriver and gently pry up on the rounded part.
    -WARNING: Make sure you only pull up the rounded part not the whole battery plug-in.
    If all went well you should be able to pull out your patter cord w/o any troubles.

--SEE NEXT POST--
  3. music4life

music4life Active Member

5. Now, to make things easier you're going to want to pull out your HDD (Hard Drive) and to do this it's going to take some more work. You're going to have two ways to "unlock" your hard drive. You're going to have to lift a small "lock flap" in one of two places. One will be located on the hard drive and one will be located on the logic board itself.
    NOTE: You only have to open ONE of the two flaps.

Located on the logic board:

Located on the hard drive:

Once you've located which lock flap you're going to lift gently pry up until it's open. Then gently remove your HDD.

Now you're going to remove your face-plate from the metal frame. If your screwdriver doesn't fit in the small screws located on the side (pictured above) You may want to use a knife, just don't cut yourself.

--SEE NEXT POST--
  4. music4life

music4life Active Member

Now that you've removed your faceplate go to the other side of your logic board and pry up the small flap that the cord from the screen leads to. (Pictured above) Once this is done remove the cord.

NOTE: Once you've removed your faceplate you'll have the front of the logic board revealed, BE SURE THAT YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE CLICK-WHEEL OR ANY CORDS SURROUNDING IT. If the small middle button falls out carefully replace it AFTER you've replaced the screen.

8. Now all that's left is to pull out the screen. (Pictured below) And replace it with the new one! (Reverse the steps)

IF THIS HELPED AT ALL PLEASE REP ME.

ALSO, IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO PM ME!

Hope you're able to get your screen fixed.
  5. mbulldogs11

mbulldogs11 New Member

Thank you so much!
  6. TSOnTheDrums8892

TSOnTheDrums8892 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @idigthemusic::: Ur signature is NASTY!!!! thats so sick.... The Used is a pretty good band, but do u like Underoath?

sorry for the off topic... BUT... *ON TOPIC*::: How much do u think a screen like that costs?
  7. mbulldogs11

mbulldogs11 New Member

I totally agree with you on the sig. I checked on ebay and it's about $15 on there. But, new about $30-$60
  8. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wow nice helpful reply, idigth3music. (pretty sure I did that wrong, but I'm on my touch)