Video Game Testing (need some help)

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Vince, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So it recently occurred to me that I'm now 18 and that I'm going to have quite a lot of free time, of course anyone from the MW2 thread knows that I'm an avid gamer and I basically enjoy all action/adventure/shooter games (aka I'm not keen on racing games, and I don't play sports games at all) so I figured I should at least try to find a job testing video games!

I've done a bit of Google searching but I haven't really found significant answers. Basically what I want is a good starting point. I want to know where to go (on teh interwebz) to find good jobs for starting testers to be able to test at-home and what exactly will be expected of me. After reading a few ads, most clients seem to want a writeup of bugs/opinions/strategies to be used and etc. I could easily do that because I'm very detail oriented. What I don't understand is how they can pay you buy the hour when they have no way of monitoring that (provided it's an at-home job, I guess they could have you sign in to a website or something but how will they know I'm not just signed in and not doing anything?).

Nationalgametesters.com seems to be a fantastic system to use (not advertising) but unfortunately they require a $40 fee, and as I'm not 100% sure on this as of now I don't feel comfortable paying a fee that may not be of any relevance to me. Also I've never written a resume, being 18 I don't have any college degrees, no work experience, I play a helluva lot of video games but I can't exactly document that, and I have little to no computer programming etc experience (now I can work my way around a computer, but I'd say the most "tech savvy" thing I've done is use Terminal and jailbreak my iPod Touch [back in the olden days when it wasn't a 1-click process]) and I don't know all the technical jargon.

So basically I'm looking for anyone with any experience in this field or anyone who has any knowledge on the subject or better yet anyone who has some connections. My ultimate goal is to be a tester for Square Enix (if they even offer full-time positions) because I can't even remember the last game that had their name on the box that I didn't love.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

(mods, if you feel this thread would get more attention/be better off in another section of these forums, feel free to move it after notifying me first. I didn't know where else it would belong, but it doesn't seem like this is the best place for it.)
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Why no just search for a game studio near you (if there is any?) and pay them a visit. See if they have any positions like that available. Or go to the studios website. They usually have contact information somewhere on the site. Address, Phone numbers, everything you need.

Before you contact them, research the position your looking for and the company. The more you know the better. You have no experience, so you need to show them you know enough about the job and are willing and motivated. You don't have experience, so your resume is going to be empty and ignored. Your only chance is to contact them and talk to someone. Show your motivated and capable of doing the job. You gotta start somewhere. First impressions are everything. Be confident and know your sh*t.

Maybe call a place your not interested in working for, that may have similar jobs and find out as much as possible about what the job requires and how it works.

Also, avoid places that ask you to pay them. It's probably just a scam.
  3. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

You don't want to be a game tester. It will ruin the game for you. You will be given one level, or section of level, to play thousands of times over and over while looking for bugs, glitches, and more. Game testing is reported to be incredibly boring and frustrating and is known to kill people's love of video gaming.
  4. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hm...well unfortunately I did do some research on major companies (including square enix) and it seems like most of them are based in LA or San Francisco, and not offering any jobs that you can do from the comfort of your home.

Skylar, I sort of agree with you and see why you'd say that, and since I can't find any opportunities atm I'll just use that as the reason for my stopping pursuit of the career.

Guess we're going with plan B, which is to get sponsored on MW2. But since that's mostly not going to work, I guess I'll have to get a "real" job.