Video Decoders= More Types of Video?

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by ChikityChinaGuy, Dec 28, 2007.

1. ChikityChinaGuy

ChikityChinaGuy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hey, I was playing around with squid, the file manager, and I found this folder called video decoder (system>library>VideoDecoders) with two files in it: h264vh1 and mp4vh1 ( both .videodecoder files) I was wondering if we could add more videodecoder files or edit the existing ones to add to the types of video the iPod touch can display. I'm not even really sure what these files do. Anybody know?
  2. ChikityChinaGuy

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    come on, 61 view, no replies? I thought this was pretty interesting and would open up some doors if we found out what these files are, what they do, and how to edit them.
    Somebody has to know.
  3. plg6067

plg6067 New Member

Interesting but itunes inly lets you transfer mp4 files on to your ipod, so you would have to transfer non-mp4 videos over wifi which would take for ever... it is easier to convert videos
  4. ChikityChinaGuy

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ever heard of total commander with the t-pot plugin? It lets you transfer to your iPod through USB instead of ssh. It doesn't matter anyway, I went and did a search and its already been established that the chipset only supports a couple of formats, most significantly wmv9, but drivers still have to be written
  5. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

No one knows how the decoders are written and iTunes won't let you transfer them. Also, there is hardware that allows the iPhone to view mp4 videos easier and more optimized. It's just easier to convert them.
  6. computerwiz_222

computerwiz_222 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know that the chipset won't allow the decoding of non-ipod ready formats, but what if the CPU was used to process the video. I believe this is a software limitation. Unlike DVD players which can only play VOBs because they only have a chipset for VOB, the ipod has an actual CPU which can be used for many things (Playstation, NES whatever). This CPU could decode the video.

The only problem with this method is that the battery would probably die faster.
  7. deathdr0ne

deathdr0ne New Member

And again comes the question of when the hell is someone going to port GLC media player?