Video Conversion Help

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Vince, May 23, 2010.

1. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I guess I'll just put it simply.

I have an mkv (720p blu-ray) file that I want to watch on my PS3. The file has hard subtitles and after converting it to MP4 and M4V (ps3 doesn't support mkv) the subtitles are somehow lost. Now I downloaded an srt file (not sure if they'll line up) and tried to use it with the newly converted movie files and they also didn't work on my MacBook but I need hard subs for them to appear on the PS3. So can anyone help me with either:
    a) converting hardsubbed mkv to hardsubbed m4v
    b) extracting subs from mkv (optional) and adding hard subs to m4v

I'm running Mac OS so it'll have to be compatible with that. I'm pretty sure iMovie can embed subtitles so I might play around with that later.
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    My brother converts mkvs with MKV2VOB but it doesn't support Mac. You can get a virtual counsel and run it and it'll work.

Could you use the Media Server feature to play the movie?
  3. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I could try, I've never tried using a media server before. I wish I could just project my MacBook screen on my TV, but I don't have the right cords for that and to my knowledge there isn't a wireless way to do so.

Converting it isn't so much the problem, Handbrake for Mac is really great for converting but apparently when you convert mkv to lower formats subtitles are lost in the process. I do have a virtual Windows 7 running, but I try to avoid using it.

At this point I just need to embed the subs, which shouldn't be too hard. For whatever reason Handbrake refuses to do it, but my main fear is that they won't line up, which isn't too big of a problem but it'll just be an annoyance.