video conversion help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GTanything, Dec 31, 2007.

1. GTanything

GTanything New Member

im trying to find the right height and width for movies on my ipod or another video conversion program. Something that can compress the file size w/o throwing the height and width off, any suggestions?
  2. gordo

gordo New Member

Do a search on this question 'cause I think it's been answered a few times already.

I use a MAC. I use iSquint to convert .AVI and .MOV files for the Touch. Settings are: "Optimaize for iPod" "High" quality and H.264 encoding. In the advanced settings I set the Height and Weight. To keep the aspect ratio correct you need to know the current aspect ratio in pixels. QuickTime gives you that info under: "Window" --> "Movie inspector" Using that info - let's say it's 540 x 308 you need to find out the scale percentage. The Touch width is 480 pixels, so 480/540 = .89 (i.e. 89%) Now multiply 308 (the height) by .89. That gives you 271. So your movie needs to go from 540 x 308 to the new size of 480 x 271.

best gordo
  3. nclaxmiddy11

nclaxmiddy11 Active Member

Off topic but gordo is a character in lizzy mcGuire
  4. PalmTookMyMoney

PalmTookMyMoney New Member

I go with 480x320 using DVDFab Platinum 4. I use two pass conversion so it looks the best. Some may not like the large file size but for me it's not a big deal to swap out movies. There's plenty of options with this program to get the movies to look the way you want. Most of my movies are wide screen which I think look best when converted. I think full screen cuts a bit off the sides.