Video aspect ratio questions.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by foofad, Jan 2, 2009.

1. foofad

foofad New Member

Hi guys, thinking about buying a Touch/iPhone in the next month, but I have some questions before I do. I've heard and read a lot of drama over video aspect ratios with the Touch, and I wanted some clarification on that.

For starters, I've heard that it's not in fact a true widescreen device, i.e. not 16x9. My question is, what is the ideal resolution for playback of 16x9 videos? I watch a lot of stuff with subtitles, foreign films and so on, so I'd prefer to have letterboxing over cropping, but cropping isn't completely out of the question either.

Secondly, what's the preferred software for converting? I've used Videora in the past, it works but it's a little clumsy. I'm hearing something about xvid4psp or something like that as well, that sound a little more promising.

I have other questions but they stem from the first two so I'll hold off for now.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Welcome to iPod touch Fans..

You're right about xvid4psp. It's free and works good with converting videos into an iPod-supported format (.mp4). I would recommend that program, or you might like Handbrake as well. Handbrake is also free.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Don't use Videora. Use Handbrake or Xvid4PSP. The resolution is 16:10 (3:2).
  4. foofad

foofad New Member

Alright great, just checked out Handbrake, looks promising. That answers the second question tidily, do you have any information regarding the first?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh I see. Same as a computer's wide resolution. Alright, that's not such a bad figure to work with insofar as cropping goes. Thanks.