very strange wifi problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by noipodtouch, Mar 12, 2008.

1. noipodtouch

noipodtouch New Member

well, i got my 16GB touch today. First thing ive tries to do is set up wifi through my computer (gateway laptop) I gone through the tutorials, set up ad-hoc with my wireless card, and its not working. Im not surprised by the trouble, but one thing has me VERY confused. During the setup, i select shared, WEP, unclick the box that says " the key is provided for me" so i can enter a password, the only ones that work are 5 or 10 digit ones. So i click OK, go back to the previous menu. BUT when i click properties under preferred networks to check the password screen, and it changed back to an 8 digit password that i dont know. it does this every time.

ive also tried to connect the touch without passwords, without encription, still wont work. Ive changes the IP, DNS, router, and nothing.

sorry for the confusing post, im just really mad, confused and tired. I'll try to explain myself better tomorrow.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. berky93

berky93 New Member

what Ive noticed with my home network (at my moms AND my dads house) is that to get it to work if the network isnt open (no lock symbol next to it) you need to hit the other button, manually enter the name of the network (caps counts) select the secutiry type (usually its WEP if you just have a basic set up) and then enter your networks key (WEP,WPA,etc)

give it like 30 seconds to connect, then from now on it will remember the key for it.
  3. noipodtouch

noipodtouch New Member

0k, I'm back from work. Let me try to explain this better.

Through my Laptop (Gateway) I want to set up a wifi hotspot so I can get online with my new touch and jailbreak it. I've read the tuturials on how to setup one up, I'll recap it:

1) In Control Panel, open NETWORK CONNECTIONS
    2) right click wireless network connection > properties
    3) under wireless networks tab and under preferred networks, click ADD
    4)choose SSID name (can be anything), change network authentication to SHARED, change data encryption to WEP

5) this is things are different for me, i need to unclick the box that says " the key is provided for me" in order to enter a network key. which i do and enter a key 5 or 10 character long

now, i click OK, to go back to the previous screen. I select to newly created network and click Properties. this brings me back to the creation screen to check settings. And the network key has changed to an 8 digit key, that i dont know. This create problems when i try to access the network on my touch.

ive tried using on "open" connection, disabling data encryption, and leaving the box thats says " the key is provided for me" checked. none of this has worked, in fact it makes it worse. when i go through the normal process this is what happens:

(on ipod)

1) settings> wifi> wifi on> (searches) finds new network
    2) i click the network, password entry (i enter the password i thought i created) click join
    3) (searches) "unable to join network "whatever"> i click ok> i click join again

new the network appears with a check mark and am able to click the little blue arrow, when i do i get a 162.254.153.xxx IP a 255.255.0.0 subnet, and no DNS, my signal strengh meter is full.

OK, ive search the internet high and low, and it seems that almost NOBODY had the same problem i do ( where the network key changes)

i know this is a long post but ANY help would be great. thank you, and i know i need to change my forum name

4. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you could disable the wep through the router : / why dont you do that while you are figuring it out
  5. noipodtouch

noipodtouch New Member

i dont understand whats that means. BTW im using a wired router into my laptop.
  6. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well, what is the brand of your router?
  7. noipodtouch

noipodtouch New Member

8. xitz your fearx

xitz your fearx Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    alright im me at x69xiloveianx69x
    ill be able to help you better that way
  9. noipodtouch

noipodtouch New Member

how do i do that? sorry im so clueless...