Very poor wifi range

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by asterix, May 15, 2010.

1. asterix

asterix New Member

Hi,

I can only get a wifi connection if I am in the same room as my router. If I am using my laptop I can get it anywhere in the house.

Is this usual?

Thanks

Paul
  2. Volcomstone000095

Volcomstone000095 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    What kind of router do you have? Also what kind of iPod do you have, and how long have you had this problem?
  3. MaoJie

MaoJie New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    most laptops nowadays have wireless N adapter, which has a further wifi range than wireless G adapter, that explains why laptop have a better signal than ipod, even though i do not know what kind of adapter does the ipod uses, but unlikely a wireless N adapter
  4. Psoul

Psoul Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Are we talking about ipod touch, Wifi, router or laptop?
  5. devadv

devadv New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i was picking up my wifi on my ipt3g from about 75 yards away.*was walking down the block*

netgear wireless g router.
  6. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Laptops have better wifi range than mobile devices due to power consumption.

Has the issue always been like this? it may just be a very bad router.

Download inssider from metageek and look at surrounding SSID's and what channel they are broadcasting on.

You want to avoid the most dense channels.

There are only 3 non-overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz(1,6,11) spectrum so if there are a few SSIDs on channel 1 and 6 then i would go for 11.

Or get a Ruckus Wireless AP with beamforming technology.
  7. VJOA

VJOA New Member

iPod Touch 1-bar using WiFi router 5' away!

This has been frustrating me for a while. I live in a very small condo. Router is never more than 15 or 20 ft away from point of iTouch use. Generally the iTouch has 1-bar of Wifi. (Shows full bars for a few seconds when first turned on) My iPhone, windows desktop and laptop all show full WiFi signals. Right now with no computers turned on, just the iPod Touch & iPhone, same thing, Touch has 1-bar, iPhone has 3. Using a Linksys wireless N router. What gives? Maybe time to give up Touch & buy the WiFi only iPad!
  8. Jodene =o)

Jodene =o) Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    How many walls do you have in between yourself and the router when you use the iPod touch?

Can you point the antenna of the router towards the open door more towards wherever you sit with the iPod touch (ie. Point towards the lounge/dining room where you are sitting through the open door of the study/bedroom where you keep the router.)

These 2 things help with the bar levels of my iPod touch.... when the antenna points away, it can drop down to 1 bar.. when I point the antenna to the door - it only has to bounce off one wall down to my lounge or bedroom, and then I get full bars.....

You might have a small condo... but if the router is having to bounce thru closed doors or off a lot of walls to see you, that can affect your experience...
  9. bondr006

bondr006 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I was over across the cul de sac at my neighbor's house last night showing him my iPad. We were sitting on his front porch and I could pick up my signal with both my touch and iPad. It was only two bars, but still worked great. My router is in my office on the back side of my house also. So the signal had to get to me through the house and a couple hundred feet or so across the cul de sac. I was amazed.

Edit....My router is an old Linksys Wireless-G router model WRT54G.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Jodene =o)

Jodene =o) Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    Haha, that's wicked!

Tho....I can actually go slightly better than that... my sister/nephew live 4 roads away from me, and I can pick up my wifi on my iPod touch at their house (tho both our laptop's couldn't?!!!). It's pretty faint, only 1 bar.. but it was there! I thought that was pretty cool tho....

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have an fairly old (3-5yr old) DLink router..