Very confused after coming back...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CF4714, Feb 4, 2010.

1. CF4714

CF4714 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well I was a member here before when I owned an iPod Touch and lost distance since I became familiar with jailbreaking. Well now, I've switched carriers, purchased a new iPhone 3GS, and want to jailbreak. Problem is, from what I've read, there is no way to keep an iPhone jailbroken unless one wants to be placed into restore mode? Is that correct?
  2. Captain*

Captain* Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    iPhone 3GS post September, on 3.1.2 is tethered jailbreak Run blackra1n, jailbreak, run blackra1n again to boot.

3.1.3 is not jailbreakable on newer 3GS's -- trust me.
  3. CF4714

CF4714 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Any way to tell if this one is post September?
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

The serial number is the easiest way to tell but it is not guaranteed; check the 3rd, 4th, and 5th number in the serial number. If it is 940 or less you should be good. If it is 941 or higher you probably have the new iBoot (but possible not).

To check the iBoot you have to put the iPhone in DFU mode and check the USB connection on your computer (the process is easy but different between a Mac and a PC but it is the same process). Here is a guide if you need some clarification.
  5. Trisky

Trisky Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You can jailbreak your phone if you still have FW 3.1.2.

If you have a post September phone, you'll have to connect the iPhone to your PC/mac every time you need to reboot/turn on and run Blackra1n again.

I have a post September 3GS and I do it that way

Please Register or Log in to view images

You will notice if it's post September after jailbreaking. If it goes to "recovery mode" after reboot/turn on.

You can check that w/o jailbreaking your phone, but I don't know how.

edit: DrewGzy told you how! hahah