Valve's Steam Levels Up, Faces Console Competition Directly

Discussion in 'Front page news archive' started by News Bot, Dec 8, 2012.

1. News Bot

News Bot iFans.com News

2. Half-Life

Half-Life Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    A little late to the party iFans with the Steam Box don't you think? Its been rumored for awhile now and Big Picture Mode has been in beta for any user since the summer :p
  3. Shedoara

Shedoara Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad
    I have yet to use big picture mode on a TV. Need to get my computer set up on the 55" TV. It's amazing from what I've used.

Maybe the Steam box will run its own OS that will only run steam and the games? You'd think it'd be based on something like Linux though, which would ruin that. But maybe ol' Gabe will surprise us.

Yeah, was just thinking that :p but went with what I was thinking anyways.
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The news broke today, as these comments are from Gabe Newell's interview with Kotaku directly after the VGA awards, where he stated that Steam would in fact be releasing such a product.

The information leading up to that was provided in order to explain the situation.
  5. Half-Life

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I just found it odd that iFans waited so long to cover it while it was still just a rumor.
  6. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I always felt it was a bit outside of our wheelhouse, if you'll excuse my Texan. :p

But since it's official, I figured a post was warranted, since I've been covering Nintendo fairly heavily, and I intend to keep that up with the rest of the next-gen consoles. Plus, who doesn't love Steam?
    Steqheu likes this.
  7. Half-Life

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I was just feeling with all the coverage of the Wii U and such, as you said, that a post about it would have already happened. Yeah, who doesn't love steam!
  8. JWingWangWong

JWingWangWong Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I want Apple to make a sequel console to the Apple Pippin. I loved that name cause it reminded me of good ol Scottie Pippin, such a baller.
  9. blunden

blunden Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm getting a little tired of the baseless Windows 8 bashing (not from iFans in this case by from Gabe). Most of the people doing the bashing have no idea what they are talking about. Steam works fine in Windows 8 and will in all probability continue to do so in future Windows (non-RT) versions. Sure, MS is competing with Valve in terms of distribution but they've done so for several years already with Games for Windows Live. Maintaining application compatibility has always been important for Microsoft so I see no reason for them to be able to edge out the Steam ecosystem anytime soon.

The type of advanced games AAA titles have become also don't lend themselves well to being metro apps so they still fit better on the desktop. The type of games I can see Microsoft potentially getting a bigger share of is indie games and titles that are basically ports of mobile games (Angry Birds comes to mind).
    TOT_tomdora likes this.
  10. Ambience

Ambience Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 7
    Well, Steam has to use SOME of that revenue from forcing users to use their game client. Sheesh.