Valve doesn't like you

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Akiyama Mio, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Swearing. Lots of it.

Most people will agree that the idler would not have been made if the item drop system wasn't a piece of sh*t. The piece of sh*t that was made by Valve. The item drop system where you can be rewarded for doing nothing, be it through an external program or joining spectator in a real server. Anyone can agree that the current idle drop system is unrewarding. You can be the best player on your team and get less than a guy doing nothing in spectator. It is not a reward system. It is a completely random drop system that does and means nothing. You can try to work hard and get your weapons through achievements, or you can just do nothing and get all of your weapons. The drop system is definitively sh*tty. No two ways about it.

What was the community's response? Idle servers. Any time you refreshed your server browser you were very likely to see an 'idle' server listed. What do people do in this server? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And by doing nothing they get items. Is this the fault of the idlers? No. It is the fault of Valve for making a sh*tty 'reward' system because for some reason, achieving items through achievements isn't good enough for people who play TF2 'casually'.

Obviously there were a lot of Idle servers and they were all very popular. They were also inconvenient. You had to keep your game on at all times, and in the event you crashed or the server went down, you had to join another one. All of this was fixed with the Idler program. Which did everything for you. Using the idler is no different than joining a TF2 server, except it uses less power from your computer, it's faster, and gives the community information they want to know about drop rates that, for some reason, Valve will not disclose. It's nothing but better than idle servers.

Valve knew the idler has been around shortly after its release. Mostly, they just turned the other way. They weren't harming anyone, and they got what they wanted. And people who didn't idle did what they wanted. Both parties were happy. And the best part, the numerous idle servers were removed, making the server list much cleaner. With that in mind, even Valve should be happy for the idler. Idlers were happy, non idlers were happy, and Valve was happy because of the clean server list.

Well for some reason they changed their minds. Now anyone who's used the idler is getting all their sh*t removed and the Idler is prohibited.

Let me drop some pros and cons of the Idler for you

PROS:
    No idle servers on the server list
    People who idle get items they want
    People who don't want to idle don't have to and can stay happy
    Community learns more about the mysterious item drop system
    SourceOP gets more attention
    Valve realizes the error of their ways (potentially)

CONS:

Valve doesn't like you (even though it makes things better for them)

There is absolutely no reason to stop idler usage. It does nothing but good and helps Valve and helps the community. It is NO DIFFERENT FROM JOINING AN IDLE SERVER WITH THE GAME RUNNING!

HEY VALVE! REMEMBER WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT PIRACY AND PROVIDING GOOD SERVICES? THE SAME APPLIES TO HATS! If you make a sh*tty hat dropping system then people are going to find ways to make it easier so they don't have to go through sh*t to get things they want. This is no different than piracy (except idling is legal)

Valve should take time to think about how the Idler is their fault. If the drop system was built around rewarding players for doing good instead of randomly giving out sh*t to anyone for any reason for any class, then maybe people wouldn't be idling in the first place. Let's say your mom cooked you some fried PIECE OF sh*t for dinner and told you and your brother to eat it. You think that's a stupid idea so you pull out some much easier to eat and digest food items while your brother eats the PIECE OF sh*t like his mom told him to. Your mom sees you're not eating the sh*t and tells you to spit it back out and let your brother eat it because he ate the PIECE OF sh*t like she told him to. That's exactly what's happening with the items. If you eat the piece of sh*t and deal with the sh*tty drop system, you have to eat a piece of sh*t and potentially get nothing. If you're the smart guy and decide to not eat the piece of sh*t and do something better for you and your computer, all the stuff you got for it is going to your dumb brother in the form of a halo and you get no food.
  2. Led

Led Banned

3. tgluak

tgluak New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  4. Led

Led Banned

The problem is that the people who idled for the hat are the people who really like the game and want to have a hat to show off. Because of Valve's broken drop system the only way I, and I'm sure tons of other people, was able to get the hat was by idling over nights while i slept. So Valve turns around and says don't idle and takes away all weapons and hats attained through idling. Fair enough. They've asserted their decision and fixed the problem but wait! Valve gives those who didn't idle a halo that is, honestly, completely awesome. But this ties into my previous argument that only people who loved the game enough to get hats idled. Valve didn't give the hats to reward the players who, frankly, had probably never heard of the idling program or don't care; they gave the hats to the players who didn't idle to rub it in the faces of those who did. I'm not mad that they blocked the idle program or took away weapons or hats. I'm mad that gave a hat to other players to rub it in the faces of those who don't have it and never will. They've divided a team based community of players over an issue that wasn't one without giving any warning or opinion before their punishment. Heard of Healers against Halos? Yea, Valve definitely did more bad then good.

That's my view.
  5. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

I got caught.

I lost two dupe weapons.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Led

Led Banned

But you don't have a halo. I also got by relatively unscathed. Lost my medic hat but i hate medic.
  7. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I haz Halo. But no other hats. Those are so rare.
  8. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want one any way.

1. they look terrible on most classes.

2. Have you seen all the people that have been getting banned from servers when they have a halo? Loads of people complaining on the tf2 forums.
  9. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    valve likes me
  10. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I love Valve, and Valve LOVES ME!