V-Moda Vibe II Earphone Review

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by rmc08, Aug 25, 2009.

1. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    CLICK PICTURES FOR HIGHER-RESOLUTION!

Hey guys, another review here! Not a headset, but just earphones. Now, "just earphones" sounds a bit like they're just your everyday earbuds. Is this really the case? Well, read the review and find out. (No unboxing video this time, sorry!)

V-Moda Vibe II Earphones

Please Register or Log in to view images

I recieved the package in an extremely bright red envelope, and noticed how fancy the earphone packaging case (above) was as soon as I tore open the envelope. Inside the case are all of these items:

• V-Moda Vibe II Earphones (not in above pic)
    • 4 Sizes of White/Black Ear Fittings
    • Leather Case
    • 2 Earhooks
    • V-Moda VIP Access Card

The earphones are extremely modern looking, and the earphones looked like they could have come from an asteroid that has fallen from earth. Wherever they came from, they look magnificent. Compared to other earphones I have seen, these are probably by farmost the best looking.

I started out by examining the earphone's build quality. I lifted them up by the wires, and they were heavy. Well, why would they be heavy? The microphone, earphones and call answering switch are all made of hard metal. No, not thin aluminum (if you've seen the Radius Atomic Bass earphones, they are made of aluminum, not the high grade metal on the Vibe II's). If these are dropped to the floor, literally nothing will happen. Next up in build quality comes the wires. When I opened up the package, I actually thought the wires were thick string to hold the earphones in the package. Turns out the wires ARE the "string", and they feel and look like durable string. Now someone may wonder, "Why would I want earphone wires made of a 'string' material?". Simple answer: the wires don't bend and adhere to any shape when twisted and turned, such as when you roll them around your iPod or iPhone. Lastly, there is the earphone plug. It is made of metal and hard plastic, and no overly excessive forcing has to be applied in order to get it into the iPod or iPhone. So far, this is the best build quality I've seen in an earphone.

Next is the build quality of the accessories included. I'll start with the leather case (below). The leather case is pure black, and has red stitching across the top flap, in the middle forming the shape of a V (for V-Moda). As for the leather quality, it is very good. It is definitely not a cheap leather material. One thing I'd like to complain about though, is the net inside the case. It is a bit thin, and may tear if you accidentally pull on it. Nonetheless, it is still a great case and it's nice that it came with the earphones. Next we have the earhooks which attach to the earphones very easily. They are made of rubber, and are very bendable. It is dense rubber, so it will not tear apart or be torn in any way. Lastly are the ear fittings, which are made of a thin, yet durable rubber material. They come with 4 different sizes, which is very nice since most earphones only come with 2 or 3 sizes.

Now comes the comfort of the earphones. When you put them in your ear, they should fit snug (pick from 4 sizes). They cancel noise very well, and once you play music you shouldn't be able to hear anything. What I found was that the mic attached to the earphones is made of the same metal on the earphones, so if your earphones are not pushed in all the way they will slowly begin to fall out. Now, here is the comfort of the earphones with the included earhooks. To use them, simply slide the wire in between the rubber on the earhook, and place then around your ear. Now if the wire gets tugged on something, the earphones will not fall out because the earhook is in place. The earhooks are very comfortable, and are barely noticeable when in place. Overall, these are very comfortable earphones.

Lastly is the audio quality, which I've found outstanding. As some may know, most bass intensive earphones may tend to drown out sound. But these earphones do not do it nearly as much as other earphones (such as the Radius Atomic Bass). They balance the bass and treble fairly well while keeping the bass pumping loud, so there is not a lot of garbled voice or missing sounds. I tried it on some hardstyle music with VERY heavy bass, and it sounds outstanding. You could hear the pumping bass and treble very well without much drowned out sounds. Next I tried some Alternative music (with guitars, singing, etc.), and the guitar was a bit exaggerated and sounded echoed. Thankfully on the iPod Touch, there is an equalizer to balance the sounds out. Switching the EQ to Acoustic made the song sound 100 times better, and there was no longer any exaggeration or echoing. Basically, the EQ made all my Alternative songs sound a lot better on these earphones! Finally, I'd like to say that when you wear them and move your head up or down, due to the texture on the earphones it generates a noise that goes through the earphones. It can get annoying, but as long as you're not moving your head over-excessively, you will not get noticeable amounts of the sound.

In conclusion, I would recommend these earphones to fans of any genre of music. They are optimal with genres like rap, hardstyle, trance, and other bass intensive music, but they still sound fantastic with other genres such as alternative, jazz, piano, rock, electronic, etc. as long as you use an Equalizer. The build quality is phenomenal and the wires are virtually un-bendable, while the the earphones and mic are made of a high quality metal. To me, these are the most stylish looking earphones I've ever seen, and even come in a great looking package. At the price of $120, some may re-think the idea of these earphones, but they really shouldn't. Most other earphones have bad build quality, and more importantly terrible sound quality. At $120, you're ensuring that you get top-notch earphones at top-notch quality. In my opinion, the price is right!

Pros:

• Amazing Build Quality (Metal earphones, cross stitched wires, etc.)
    • Balanced Amount Of Bass, depending on song
    • Removable Ear Hooks
    • Leather Carrying Case
    • Built-In Mic for iPhone/iPod Touch 2G
    Cons:

• Music may drown, depending on song
    • Wire Rubbing Noise

Audio Quality: 9.5
    Build Quality: 10.0
    Comfort: 9.5
    Accessories: 10.0
    Price: 10.0

Average: 9.8

Buy them now!
    Click here to buy the Vibe II Earphones Now
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Decent review. You should fix that one picture, though.

I still love my V-Moda Vibes.

I'll probably get the Vibe II after these break.
  3. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice review!
    I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to take over and say "MODS: this should be locked because of advertising" or something to that effect.
    I think it was a nice review even though there weren't any "real" pictures (the pictures there are all the same as if I searched google. User taken/candid pictures would have been better.)
  4. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Ahh, but 50% of the pictures above were taken by me!

I'm a good photographer, eh?
  5. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Those earbuds look shmexy.

I had the OG ones, but they broke...
  6. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Sorry, but... BUMP!

I need more hits, I worked hard on this review

If bumps are not allowed please tell me and I'll never do it again

7. mitchell209

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  8. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I don't know about the new ones (I did read a decent amount of the post) but the old ones looked very solid yet break very easily. I hope that's not the case with the new ones.
  9. mitchell209

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    My V-Moda Vibes are doing great so far. I've had them for about a month or two so far.
  10. psp2468

psp2468 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Great review. I really want these headphones