Utilizing my 1gen's Best Buy Product Service Plan to get a 2gen...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by andeh, Jan 20, 2009.

1. andeh

andeh New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i did a search and there's already a sorta big thread on trying to use your retailer's warranty to get a 2gen from a 1gen Touch, but i started this one to deal specifically with Best Buy's Product Service Plan (PSP) since they discontinued the easier Product Replacement Plan (PRP).

i actually bought my Touch sometime the summer of 2008, and apparently they didn't discontinue the PRP until September of 2008. i only wished i would've known and asked specifically for the PRP! but i was a fool and didn't know, so now i'm stuck here.

ANYWAY, i was hoping some of you know more about the PSP and hopefully some of you have tried and succeeded with trading in your 1gen for a 2gen via Best Buy's PSP. from what i've gathered, you need to send your Touch in three times- first time, they send your unit in for repair that takes like 2-3 weeks, the second time they send you a refurbished unit, and the third time they give you a new unit (which i hope will be a 2gen, since PRPs used to get you new iPods all the time). has anyone succeeded in getting a 2gen by sending their 1gen in three times?

also, i know that the PSP's coverage isn't quite as universal as the PRP, as there only cover specific issues. i don't recall all of them, but i think they include the audio jack not working, the screen not working, and maybe battery issues. they don't deal with software issues so i can't just intentionally screw up a jailbreak. :\ anyone know exactly what they cover, and some ideas to try?

Please Register or Log in to view images

lastly, i don't need guff from any of you who are gonna say that i'm trying to scam and that i'm just a baby wanting a new toy, etc. etc. i'm being a smart consumer and i spent the extra money on the service plan so i expect fulfillment on my part. i didn't know the PRP was still offered at the time of purchasing as i would'ev gotten that instead. and yes, i am hungry for my 2gen since the jailbreak is around the corner, eliminating all reasons to hold onto my 1gen!
  2. genex07

genex07 New Member

i used to be a part-time employee there, so i might be able to help...
    i have a Q though, how much did the warranty cost you?

if it was Approx $15 its a replacement plan and you can probably just try to put it into some kind of irreversable boot loop or something and get a new iPoT.

If it was more than $15, $29.99 for example then its a protection plan and you'll have to do something else to it, maybe unsolder something slightly so it doesnt work quite as well, or something. then they will be forced to get you a new one. but MAKE SURE THAT THEY DONT HAVE ANY 1ST GENS LYING AROUND BECAUSE YOU WILL BE GIVEN ONE.

Ofcourse you cant make it obvious that YOU caused these things to happen or else ure stuck with a broken iPoT and No Warranty. The REAL question is, Is it worth it to you?

Hope this helped.
  3. andeh

andeh New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    hey thanks for the quick reply. i was hoping someone on the inside would let me in on some secrets. :]

$15 for a PRP? dang! i paid $60 for the three-year service plan for my 32gb 1gen Touch, which is probably why my service plan was so pricey. i totally would've just gotten the PRP had i known they were still offered.

i figured i'd have to try and poke around to see what i can sorta mess up without it being too obvious i was the culprit. maybe i can stick a drill bit up the headphone jack and twist it a bit and mess it up.

thanks for the tips the warning about 1gens laying around. it would really suck they wound up handing me a new 1gen after all my troubles.