Using WiSync for notes synching

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by lilblondedude, Feb 19, 2008.

1. lilblondedude

lilblondedude New Member

Currently, WiSync offers the ability to sync 1 folder on your iPod with 1 folder on your mac.

I'm aware that the notes.app uses only 1 folder to store all the notes saved, so is it possible to make use of WiSync to sync notes with your Mac - wirelessly?

I would try this myself, but I don't know exactly how the notes.app stores the files so I would not be able to do it, but I'd love for someone to be able to try this with me.

It seems like a pretty good idea to me?
  2. lilblondedude

lilblondedude New Member

bump anyone?
  3. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

As I understand it, the saved notes aren't in a readable format. But I'll check that for you now.

Edit - this is the file that contains the notes info:

/private/var/root/Library/Notes/notes.db

Or, on 1.1.3
    /private/var/mobile/Library/Notes/notes.db

The file is in binary form, which can't be read as plain text unless it is converted. And unfortunately a quick Google search didn't produce any simple ways to do this.
  4. lilblondedude

lilblondedude New Member

So if there was a way to convert this file into plain text, we could theoretically sync notes wirelessly.

I suppose some form of program would have to be developed to read/write notes using the plain text file?

Or is there a way to run the Notes.app on a mac (what i'm using at this end) because that would create a .db file on the computer I guess?
  5. lilblondedude

lilblondedude New Member

Opening the .db file with textedit (which is a simple, notepad-like program) gives this:

SQLite format 3@
    ¸ã©√&åãÅ1Åstriggerdelete_note_bodiesNoteCREATE TRIGGER delete_note_bodies AFTER DELETE ON Note
    BEGIN
    DELETE FROM note_bodies WHERE note_id = OLD.ROWID;
    ENDd##Åtablenote_bodiesnote_bodiesCREATE TABLE note_bodies (note_id INTEGER, data, UNIQUE(note_id))5I#indexsqlite_autoindex_note_bodies_1note_bodiesXÅtableNoteNoteCREATE TABLE Note (creation_date INTEGER, title TEXT, summary TEXT)Å ??Å!table_SqliteDatabaseProperties_SqliteDatabasePropertiesCREATE TABLE _SqliteDatabaseProperties (key TEXT, value TEXT, UNIQUE(key))Qe?indexsqlite_autoindex__SqliteDatabaseProperties_1_SqliteDatabaseProperties
    ≤Ï≤8/U_UniqueIdentifierFA3077DD-C5ED-46FE-B1D7-A55EDFFA2209)_ClientVersion2
    ◊Ì◊/_UniqueIdentifier)_ClientVersion
    nºôn)O

l|_£53.00 for XP home MD components!?

j{Learn to play bass, HoggyBKC
    hflMake sure rugby gear is orderedHugos PE kit must be washed
    n¥ïn%O¬£53.00 for XP home MD components?Learn to play bass, HoggyJÅMake sure rugby gear is ordered<div>Hugos PE kit must be washed</div>
    Ó˙ÙÓ

However, upon adding a note, it is only the part in bold that changes, so now I'm going to try and add a note simply using TextEdit and see what I can do.