Using the Blender game engine for iPhone apps

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Muffin15, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    hello all
    i was perusing the web and trying to find out which 3D programs could
    be integrated into iphoen developement when i found this
    http://www.sio2interactive.com/TECHNOLOGY.html
    i'm going to assume that most of you don't know what blender is
    blender is an open source 3D scene creator/renderer that also includes a game engine among other things
    the main website is here
    http://www.blender.org/
    best of all, its absolutely FREE
    i thought this was very very cool, as i'd like to eventually learn to make applications centered around 3D objects
    as i haven't explored the site much, im not sure what the full extent of help and support for the process is, but there IS a forums, which is always a good sign
    also, if you are not sure where to start learning blender, i suggest a great book called "the essential blender" which starts from the ground up and covers various involved topics as well as in-depth beginner tutorials
    well, i hope some of you will find this useful!
    =)
  2. oioioi

oioioi New Member

Are you sure these two blender things are the same? Blender.org is the homepage for a program for making models. I think you got those two mixed up, but I am not sure
  3. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    this wouldn't work on the iPhone as you have to use OpenGL ES or this other one I can think of at the moment it just wouldn't be able to compile plus the iPhone/iPod Touch would have no idea how to interpret the code
  4. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You make the models in Blender, then use an Sio2 script to export them. Then you make an app in Xcode, integrate the Sio2 source files and copy the exported models into the app. So you use and program the Blender models on your iPod with the engine, you create them with Blender.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Sio2 uses OpenGL ES, but you don't have to deal with it directly. You will, of course, have to do some programming if your app/game should have some kind of logic and gameplay

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh, and Sio2 interprets the model files on-the-fly. The models and the scenery aren't compiled, which actually makes it easier for people to steal your artwork

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Chicken

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    right sorry about that I'm don't know anything about blender although I have seen it but I still think that you cant integrate Sio2 into Xcode
  6. oioioi

oioioi New Member

If you watch the tutorial videos you can see that it compiles just fine, and it runs on the iphone emulator
  7. Chicken

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    right ok sorry as I said I dont know anything about blender i stick my hands up you are right