Using Ssh To Add Iphone Apps, Step By Step Guide.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by beeeen, Nov 5, 2007.

1. beeeen

beeeen New Member

ok. so I just recently bought an iPod touch. I am new to SSH, cyberduck, and hacking. I had no idea how to use SSH or cyberduck, and I see tons of people have the same problems I did. I know there is already a thread on adding iphone apps to the ipod, but the instructions are vague so i will do my best to explain them step by step.

1- make sure your ipod is jailbroken, and has SSH installed. At the same time, make sure you have cyberduck installed. I will only be dealing with cyberduck, I don't know other ftp clients.

2- download this http://www.sharebig.com/share.php?id=s4bcbekqmkJEHKPB or http://www.[PIRACY.mu].com/?d=GN9CKYJX. I do NOT take credit for these files. It came from this thread: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1659. Unzip those files and place them on your desktop.

3- On your iPhone, make sure SSH is turned ON. Open cyberduck. Click on open connection

BY THE WAY: Having my iPod connected to my computer made this work easier than having it not connected. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I would recommend connecting it.

4- After clicking "open connection" under protocol select SFTP. Now, make sure your touch is connected to wifi. On your touch, go to settings > wifi> and under network click the BLUE ARROW. It will take you to a new page with IP address. It should be a 10 numbers looking like xxx.xxx.x.xxx. Copy that IP address into the server bar. Port should equal 22

5- For the iPod touch, the user name is ROOT. The passwod is ALPINE. Click CONNECT. It should take a few second to connect to the files of your iPod touch.

6-You will see all the different files on your touch. There is a drop down bar that says something/something/something (doing this from memory, can't remember exactly). Click that, and click on the LAST option, it should be a picture of a harddrive with a "/" next to it. You will then see more options in your touch than before.

7- Ok, so now..open up the UNZIPPED IPHONE APP folder on your desktop. Drag and drop the files into the following directories.
    Code:
    **IMPORTANT, change file permission to 755 via ftp or ssh. REMEMBER, all files in folders and subfolders have to be in permission 755 for the apps to run properly**

Weather.app, MobileMail.app, Stock.app, Maps.app, MobileNotes to /Applications/

GMM.framework to /System/Library/Frameworks/
    Framework for Maps.app, MobileMail.app (Not sure if MobileMail need this tho, but I have GMM installed before installing MobileMail)

N45AP.plist to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/
    The file above is for enabling the add / edit calendar events

MobileMailSettings.bundle to /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/
    The file above is for MobileMail's accounts setting

Best advice for transferring the folders and files to ipod touch:

Use some FTP client that supports SFTP, in this way, permissions could be applied easily without a fuss. For Os X, use CyberDuck, remember to check the box "Apply permission recursively". For windows, try WS_FTP, it should work like cyber duck

This is taken from the original iphone to ipod touch thread, not my credit.

8- After doing this, go to each of the folders (if it's under system, go to that folder, right click, press get info, and click "APPLY PERMISSION RECURSIVELY".) Look for the number 755 right above the column, if it doesn't, that's okay. I think it does this automatically. I didn't have to change anything. For example, if you dragged the weather and maps apps into the APPLICATIONS folder, RIGHT CLICK > get info> APPLY PERMISSION RECURSIVELY".

DO THIS FOR EVERY FOLDER.

9- A reminder, if you do not want an app on there (for me, it was stocks) simply don't drag it into the applications folder.

10- Now, disconnect using cyberduck. Turn off your ipod and restart it. You should now see google maps, mail, weather, stocks, and notepad on your screen.

11- If for some reason the apps are not there, or not working, do this.
    Code:
    Now open up an SSH terminal (or terminal on your iPod, I think that works too, but ask someone to make sure) and type:
    chmod -R a+x /Applications/*
    that changes all the permissions.

-Shep
    I hope this clears up some info about adding the apps to the touch. Good luck.

PS- there is a problem with the mail app, not sure how to fix it yet, but i see numerous threads about it.
  2. beeeen

beeeen New Member

bump. leave replies with successes or failures, if you tried this out.
  3. kcampb52

kcampb52 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't know what it is, but figured maybe u would I did everything like what you explaind well as best as I could but now my mail app, maps app, and weather app, oh and notes like go to start up but then they crash. I did the permission thing to 0755, and they still werent working so I did the terminal thing and it went through the whole procces but they still did the same thing, and like an idiot I didnt back anything up(mail app, weather app...ect), any info would be appreciated... Thanx in advance